Nashville Soccer Club Announces International Callups Ahead of 2023 Concacaf Nations League Finals
NASHVILLE, Tenn. â¯- Nashville Soccer Club announced today in conjunction with the Federations of U.S. Soccer and Panama the additions of defender Walker Zimmerman (United States) and midfielder Aníbal Godoy (Panama) to their respective National Team rosters ahead of the Concacaf Nations League Semifinals. Zimmerman and the United States Men's National Team will take on Mexico, while Godoy and the Panama Men's National Team will take on Canada on June 15th at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Kickoff for the Panama Semifinal match is scheduled for 6 p.m. CT, while the USA Semifinal match will immediately follow at 9 p.m. CT. Both matches will be broadcast live on Paramount+, with the winner from each match advancing to the Concacaf Nations League Final at 7:30 p.m. CT on June 18th.
Zimmerman has become a cornerstone for the United States Men's National Team backline, earning 40 caps with 34 starts, while serving as Captain nine times. The centerback made his National Team debut on Feb. 2017, and has made 29 appearances since 2020.
In 2023, Zimmerman has earned three caps, serving as Captain twice. In 2022, he made 14 appearances, earning a 6W-3L-5D record, nine clean sheets and a Round of 16 appearance in the 2022 FIFA World Cup™. He also made 10 appearances in 2021, leading the United States to an 8W-1L-1D record, with six clean sheets and a 20-6 positive goal differential.â¯â¯â¯â¯â¯
At the club level, Zimmerman was elevated to Designated Player on April 29, 2022, a status he cemented by becoming just the fifth player in league history to be selected to the MLS Best XI for the fourth consecutive year in Nov. 2022.
This season, Zimmerman anchored Nashville SC's backline to five shutouts in the club's first 10 matches of the season before being sidelined by injury on April 29. The centerback returned to the pitch as a sub in a 3-1 win over Columbus Crew on May 28 before appearing in the Starting XI in a 2-1 victory at FC Dallas this past weekend.
Godoy is a mainstay on the Panamanian squad, earning 124 caps with 96 starts, while serving as captain 16 times. In 2022, Godoy made 12 appearances for Panama, earning a 4W-3L-5D record and serving as captain seven times. He appeared in five Concacaf World Cup Qualification matches, recording the lone goal in a 5-1 loss to the USMNT.
Godoy has appeared in three matches in the Concacaf Nations League, recoding an assist against Martinique in a 5-0 win on June 10, 2022 and then captaining Panama in its next meeting with Martinique on June 13, 2022. Godoy last appeared with Panama across a series of friendlies in November 2022 against Saudi Arabi, Venezuela and Cameroon.
This season, Godoy leads the team in passing accuracy at 90.5% and has anchored the Nashville SC midfield during its eight-match unbeaten streak, recording 75 minutes or more of action in seven of the eight matches. Nashville SC has been dominant with Godoy's presence, as the club owns a 18W-7L-7D record in his appearances since 2022.
Up next at the club level, Nashville SC will visit Toronto FC on Saturday, June 10 at 6:30 p.m. CT on the MLS Season Pass on the Apple TV app and 104.5 The Zone.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Advance to U.S. Open Cup Semifinals with 3-1 Win Over Pittsburgh Riverhounds - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Put Out the Fire in Chicago to Advance to the U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Houston Dynamo FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park and the LA Galaxy Unveil the Venue's 20th Anniversary Mark - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Sign WFC2 Forward Levonte Johnson to Fourth MLS Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Birmingham Legion FC this Wednesday in the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal to Play Canadian Championship Final Wednesday in Vancouver - Club de Foot Montreal
- U-13 Academy Class Visits Mercy Health Training Center for Signing Event - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Host LA Galaxy this Wednesday in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Los Angeles FC - Atlanta United FC
- The Pitch (Matchdays 18): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Portland Timbers, Thorns FC Host Inaugural 3v3 Tournament Presented by Providence - Portland Timbers
- New York City Football Club Defender Thiago Martins Undergoes Knee Scope Procedure - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces International Callups Ahead of 2023 Concacaf Nations League Finals - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Honors Loved Ones of Players and Staff on Drive out Cancer Night Presented by AutoNation - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - Chicago Fire FC
- Róbert Thorkelsson Called up by Iceland's U21 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich at BC Place Renamed Vancouver Smoked Meat Sandwich for Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: June 6, 2023 - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville SC Earns 1-1 Draw at SJ Earthquakes
- Nashville SC Earns 1-1 Draw at SJ Earthquakes
- MATCH Preview: Nashville SC Finishes Western Conference Two-Match Road Week at San Jose Earthquakes
- GENashville SC Hits the Road Again to Take on the San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville SC to Host Official Hispanic Heritage Night and Celebrate Local Communities Through October 15