Houston Dynamo FC Put Out the Fire in Chicago to Advance to the U.S. Open Cup Semifinals
BRIDGEVIEW, Ill. - Houston Dynamo FC defeated Chicago Fire FC 4-1 on the road tonight to advance to the semifinals of the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup for the first time since winning the title in 2018.
Houston was awarded a penalty kick in the 11th minute after forward Nelson Quiñónes was brought down inside the box by Arnaud Souquet. Forward Amine Bassi converted the penalty kick for the opening goal of the match. The 25-year-old has scored seven goals for the Dynamo this year.
The Dynamo doubled their lead in the 31st minute when midfielder Adalberto "Coco" Carrasquilla found forward Aliyu Ibrahim on the counter downfield in the middle of the pitch. The Nigerian outran the last defender and tucked the ball into the bottom left corner of the net past a diving Spencer Richey for his second goal of the competition this year.
The Fire pulled a goal back in the 39th minute off a corner kick that found Souquet at the near post. This was the first goal the Dynamo conceded in the Open Cup this year and it came after 310 minutes of competitive play.
Carrasquilla won a free kick near midfield in the 57th minute that generated Houston's third goal of the match. Herrera switched play and found Quiñónes on the opposite sideline, the Colombian attacker dribbled into the box and forced a save, which fell to Aliyu for his second goal of the evening.
Quiñónes scored the final goal of the evening in the 75th minute after Héctor Herrera won a duel just outside the box. The Mexican international played the ball across the face of goal to an open Quiñónes for his first goal with the club.
Houston's first shot of the match came off the right foot of Herrera in the fourth minute. The Fire attempted to clear a throw in that fell to the Mexican international just outside the box, he dribbled to create space for a shot, but his effort was off target.
Dynamo defender Franco Escobar cleared a cross intended for Brian Gutiérrez at the near post in the eighth minute. The second ball fell to Miguel Navarro and his effort was saved at the near post by goalkeeper Andrew Tarbell.
Houston nearly doubled their lead in the 17th minute after Ibrahim tussled with a defender and forced a rebound toward the top of the box. Bassi capitalized on the loose ball and forced a save from Richey.
Bassi played a ball into the box moments later that found Sviatchenko at the far post, but his effort was off target. Bassi then slipped a ball into the box for midfielder Carrasquilla in the 25th minute, and the Panamanian found the back of the net, but he was called offside.
Tarbell was called into action again in the 28th minute after Kei Kamara created space for a shot just outside the six-yard box. The Dynamo shot stopper denied Maren Haile-Selassie at the near post in the 44th minute to give Houston the lead going into the locker room. Tarbell finished with four saves against the Fire.
Houston will advance to face the winner of Wednesday's West Region matchup between Real Salt Lake and LA Galaxy, with the semifinal to be played on August 23. The Semifinal/Final Hosting Draw will be broadcast live on Thursday, June 8 at 12 p.m. CT CBS Sports Golazo Network.
The Dynamo return to league play on June 10 when they host LAFC at Shell Energy Stadium at 7:30 p.m. CT before travelling to face Los Angeles again the following Wednesday in a match that was rescheduled.
Chicago Fire FC 1-4 Houston Dynamo FC
Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup - Quarterfinals
SeatGeek Stadium - Bridgeview, Illinois
TEAM 1H 2H FT
Chicago Fire FC 1 0 1
Houston Dynamo FC 2 2 4
HOU: Amine Bassi 1 (penalty kick) 12'
HOU: Aliyu Ibrahim 2 (Adalberto "Coco" Carrasquilla 1) 31'
HOU: Aliyu Ibrahim 3 (unassisted) 59'
HOU: Nelson Quiñónes 1 (Héctor Herrera 1) 74'
Chicago Fire FC: Spencer Richey; Rafael Czichos (c), Mauricio Pineda, Arnaud Souquet (Kendall Burks 46'); Miguel Navarro (Jairo Torres 67'), Gastón Giménez (Georgios Koutsias 74'), Federico Navarro, Maren Haile-Selassie; Brian Gutiérrez, Xherdan Shaqiri; Kei Kamara
Unused substitutes: Jeffrey Gal, Alonso Aceves, Kacper Przybylko, Fabian Herbers
Total shots: 13 (Kei Kamara 4); Shots on goal: 5 (five players tied with 1); Fouls: 15 (four players tied with 2); Offside: 2 (Miguel Navarro and Kei Kamara tied with 1); Corner kicks: 8; Saves: 2 (Spencer Richey)
Houston Dynamo FC: Andrew Tarbell; Franco Escobar, Micael, Erik Sviatchenko (Ethan Bartlow, 61'), Chase Gasper; Luís Caicedo, Héctor Herrera (C) (Iván Franco 84'), Adalberto Carrasquilla (Corey Baird, 61'); Amine Bassi (Artur 73'), Aliyu Ibrahim (Thor Úlfarsson 72'), Nelson Quiñónes
Unused substitutes: Steve Clark, Daniel Steres
Total shots: 11 (Nelson Quiñónes 3); Shots on goal: 6 (three players tied with 2); Fouls: 11 (Adalberto Carrasquilla and Aliyu Ibrahim tied with 3); Offside: 6 (Aliyu Ibrahim 2); Corner kicks: 2; Saves: 4 (Andrew Tarbell)
CHI: Mauricio Pineda (caution; foul) 21'
CHI: Federico Navarro (cautionl foul) 62'
CHI: Gastón Giménez (caution; foul) 63'
HOU: Chase Gasper (caution; foul) 89'
CHI: Kendall Burks (caution; foul) 90'
Referee: Marcos Deoliveira
Assistant: Matthew Seem
Assistant: Artyom Arustamyan
Fourth Official: Alexander Beehler
Weather: 63 degrees, cloudy
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 6, 2023
- FC Cincinnati Advance to U.S. Open Cup Semifinals with 3-1 Win Over Pittsburgh Riverhounds - FC Cincinnati
- Houston Dynamo FC Put Out the Fire in Chicago to Advance to the U.S. Open Cup Semifinals - Houston Dynamo FC
- Dignity Health Sports Park and the LA Galaxy Unveil the Venue's 20th Anniversary Mark - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Sign WFC2 Forward Levonte Johnson to Fourth MLS Short-Term Agreement - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Inter Miami CF to Face Birmingham Legion FC this Wednesday in the U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinals - Inter Miami CF
- CF Montréal to Play Canadian Championship Final Wednesday in Vancouver - Club de Foot Montreal
- U-13 Academy Class Visits Mercy Health Training Center for Signing Event - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Host LA Galaxy this Wednesday in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Quarterfinal - Real Salt Lake
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Los Angeles FC - Atlanta United FC
- The Pitch (Matchdays 18): Top Things to Watch in MLS this Week - MLS
- Portland Timbers, Thorns FC Host Inaugural 3v3 Tournament Presented by Providence - Portland Timbers
- New York City Football Club Defender Thiago Martins Undergoes Knee Scope Procedure - New York City FC
- Nashville Soccer Club Announces International Callups Ahead of 2023 Concacaf Nations League Finals - Nashville SC
- Inter Miami CF Honors Loved Ones of Players and Staff on Drive out Cancer Night Presented by AutoNation - Inter Miami CF
- Chicago Fire Weekly Update - Chicago Fire FC
- Róbert Thorkelsson Called up by Iceland's U21 Team - Club de Foot Montreal
- Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwich at BC Place Renamed Vancouver Smoked Meat Sandwich for Canadian Championship Final - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: June 6, 2023 - New England Revolution
- Nashville SC Update - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo FC Stories
- Continued Investment Paves Way for Successful 2023 for Houston Dynamo Football Club
- Houston Dynamo FC Announce Roster Decisions Following Run to Western Conference Final
- Dynamo FC Fall to LAFC in the Western Conference Final
- Houston Dynamo FC Face LAFC on Saturday for Place in MLS Cup
- Houston Dynamo FC and Houston Dash Combine for Five Houston Sports Awards Nominations