Wheat Kings Look for Redemption in Lethbridge
Wheat Kings Regular Season Record: 9-12-0-1 Home: 6-6-0-0 Road: 3-6-0-1
Head Coach: Don MacGillivray | 88 WHL games coached (PA, BWK) | All-Time Record: 39-42-6-1
Tonight's Matchup: The Brandon Wheat Kings continue a four-game road trip tonight in Lethbridge. It's the second meeting of the season between these two clubs, and the first in Lethbridge since February 29th, 2020. That night, Cole Reinhardt scored the game winner midway through the 3rd period to lift the BWK to victory. In the only meeting this season, Brandon picked up a 5-2 win on the heels of a two-goal night from Landon Roberts.
Last Time Out: 3-0 L @ Swift Current: The Wheat Kings fired a season high 47 shots on goal on Wednesday night, but couldn't beat Isaac Poulter. The Winnipeg, MB native earned his 3rd shutout of the season, and earned redemption after being pulled in Brandon a week earlier.
TOP 5 WHEAT KINGS SCORERS
Nolan Ritchie - 9G - 16A - 25 Points
Ridly Greig - 12G - 11A - 23 Points
Nate Danielson - 4G - 12A - 14 Points
Rylen Roersma - 8G - 6A - 14 Points
Chad Nychuk - 5G - 8A - 13 Points
Goals (12) - Ridly Greig | Assists (16) - Nolan Ritchie
Points (25) - Nolan Ritchie | PIMS (42) - Ridly Greig
Plus/Minus (9) - Ridly Greig | Shots (79) - Ridly Greig
Wins (6) - Ethan Kruger | Shutouts (0) - None
Save % (.899) - Ethan Kruger | Goals Against Average (3.38) - Ethan Kruger
NEWS & NOTES:
No Days Off: The Brandon Wheat Kings are currently in the midst of a jam packed portion of the WHL schedule. The BWK will play four games in five nights, twice over the course of the next two weeks. That totals up to eight games in a twelve day span. Add in over 2000+ KM of travel, and this could be a make or break portion of the calendar for the Wheat Kings.
World Junior Hopefuls: Ridly Greig and Vinny Iorio made the list of 15 WHL'ers who will head to Calgary next week to take part in Hockey Canada's World Junior Selection Camp. Both players will look to make the team and help Canada avenge their silver medal from one year ago.
Speaking of Silver: The Wheat Kings will welcome back rookie defenseman Quinn Mantei to the lineup this weekend. The native of Weyburn, SK is fresh off a silver medal performance with Team Canada Red at the Capital City Challenge U17 tournament in Ottawa. Mantei recorded an assist in the final on Wednesday night, and lined up on the top defensive pairing in the last three games of the event.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 3, 2021
- Late Charge Comes up Short as Blades Fall 4-3 in Winnipeg - Saskatoon Blades
- Pats Fall Behind Early, Lose 5-2 to Raiders - Regina Pats
- Americans Announce 2021-22 SWX Broadcast Schedule - Tri-City Americans
- Preview: Rockets At Blazers - Kelowna Rockets
- Teddy Bear Toss Returns to the VMC on December 11 - Portland Winterhawks
- Yager & Unger Cherish Capital City Challenge Experience - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Americans Head to Everett - Tri-City Americans
- Whitehead Named Pats Academic Player of the Month - Regina Pats
- Chiefs Host Prince George and Kick off Holiday Extravaganza Friday Night - Spokane Chiefs
- Game 24 - Saskatoon at ICE - Winnipeg Ice
- ICE Recall Young - Winnipeg Ice
- Wheat Kings Look for Redemption in Lethbridge - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Game #23 Preview: Blades at ICE - Saskatoon Blades
- Pats Face Rival Raiders on Friday - Regina Pats
- Hitmen Defeat Warriors, 7-1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Warriors Open Road Trip with Loss in Calgary - Moose Jaw Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.