Warriors Snap Vipers Five-Game Winning Streak, Earn 92-91 Win
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (19-6) held on to beat the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (15-10) 92-91 tonight at Bert Ogden Arena. Tonight's win ends the Vipers five game-winning streak and is the team's first in Edinburg since the 2016-17 NBA G League season.
Warriors center Deyonta Davis scored a team-high 20 points on 10-of-15 from the field (66.7 percent) in 30 minutes. The Warriors collected 16 steals from the Vipers tonight, including three by guard Will Cherry to go with his 14 points and eight assists. Golden State Warriors guard Jacob Evans III, currently on assignment in Santa Cruz, added eight points and eight rebounds off the bench.
The Vipers were led by forward Bruno Caboclo's 20 points and six blocks. Center Isaiah Hartenstein recorded 16 points on 8-of-13 from the field (61.5 percent) with 15 rebounds tonight, his third double-double against Santa Cruz this season (five total).
Davis scored ten of the team's first 12 points to start the night, with the Sea Dubs going on a 10-2 run to end the first quarter at a 27-27 draw. Despite eight offensive rebounds in the second quarter, the Vipers only converted two second chance points (1-of-6 FG) in the second period. The Vipers surrendered seven team turnovers in the second period as the Warriors took the lead for good with a 52-46 halftime lead.
Santa Cruz opened the second half hitting three straight threes to build their lead up to 17 points in the third quarter. The Vipers then held the Warriors to just 13 points in the fourth, bringing the lead down to within two points in the final minutes, but Caboclo couldn't convert a jump shot at the end of regulation to give the Warriors their league-high-tying 19th win this season.
The Warriors will now return to Kaiser Permanente Arena for a rematch with the Austin Spurs on Wednesday, January 16 (tip-off 7:00 p.m. PST on NBC Sports Bay Area Plus), with the first 1,500 fans in attendance receiving a Splash Brothers bobblehead. For tickets to this Wednesday's home game, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 13, 2019
- Stockton Kings Slide Past Austin Spurs, 116-109 - Austin Spurs
- Oklahoma City Goes Cold at Sioux Falls - Oklahoma City Blue
- Terry, Cooke III Lead Skyforce Past Blue - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Wolves Ousted by Drive in Waning Moments - Iowa Wolves
- Stockton Kings Slide Past Austin Spurs, 116-109 - Stockton Kings
- Drive Win on Thornton's Game-Winning Layup - Grand Rapids Drive
- Greensboro Acquires Malik Pope - Greensboro Swarm
- BayHawks Power Past 905 - Raptors 905
- Golden State Warriors Recall Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Skyforce Acquire Tai Odiase - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Warriors Snap Vipers Five-Game Winning Streak, Earn 92-91 Win - Santa Cruz Warriors
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Warriors Defeat Blue 113-103 in Matinee Matchup of NBA G League's Best Records
- Santa Cruz Warriors Beat Salt Lake City Stars 106-97, Extend Win Streak to Five Games
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Blow out Austin Spurs 116-82 for Fourth Straight Win
- Golden State Warriors Recall Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz