Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (30-14) tamed the Iowa Wolves (17-27) on the road. With the win the Vipers locked in a playoff berth and the Southwest Division title.
A high energy first half had much to offer for both ends on the court. Iowa played host to a powerful Rio Grande Valley team who was looking to clinch a playoff berth just three days into March.
The Vipers headed into the locker room ahead by four, 58-54. Houston Rockets assignee, Isaiah Hartenstein wasted no time and tallied a double-double in the half with 17 points, 13 rebounds. Two-way player Danuel House Jr. totaled 13 points individually as he aided in the push to get on top after one full half of action.
For the Wolves, Minnesota two-way players C.J. Williams and Jared Terrell combined for 24 points, 12 a piece, before heading to the break.
Iowa was outscored in three of the four quarters tonight but fought hard to force an overtime period. Both teams were at a deadlock 125-125 after regulation and had to earn a decision the hard way.
Once the final buzzer blew, the Vipers locked in their 30th win of the season and clinched the Southwest Division and a playoff berth.
Hartenstein had 22 points and 26 rebounds, a new career-high for the Rockets assignee. This also broke the previous franchise record for rebounds in a single game (24) which was set in 2010 by Mike Harris. Chris Chiozza, Rockets assignee, managed to lock in a double-double behind 18 points and a career-high 14 assists. House Jr. closed out with 28 points, seven rebounds, eight assists. Dakarai Tucker hit seven three-pointers en route to a 25-point performance.
For the Wolves, Williams ended the night with 21 points, five rebounds. Denver Nuggets two-way Brandon Goodwin totaled 21 points, six rebounds and 10 assists which secured the double-double for him. Xavier Silas had 22 points. Terrell reached 17 points this evening for Iowa.
The Vipers will return home to prepare for a matchup against Raptors 905 on March 8. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. (CST). For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2019
- Stockton Kings Dominate Memphis Hustle, Win Sixth Straight Game - Stockton Kings
- Drive Surge Late to Beat Red Claws - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws Can't Hold Lead over Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Overtime Thriller Slips Away from Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Defeats Top Team in NBA G League, Beat Santa Cruz 120-105 - Windy City Bulls
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 120-105 to the Windy City Bulls - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Lose Sunday Matchup in Stockton - Memphis Hustle
- Magic Take Down BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- NAZ Suns out of Sorts in Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Jarquez Smith - Lakeland Magic
- Jordan Sibert Rejoins Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Vamos Los Legends - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.