Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title
DES MOINES, Iowa - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (30-14) tamed the Iowa Wolves (17-27) on the road. With the win the Vipers locked in a playoff berth and the Southwest Division title.
A high energy first half had much to offer for both ends on the court. Iowa played host to a powerful Rio Grande Valley team who was looking to clinch a playoff berth just three days into March.
The Vipers headed into the locker room ahead by four, 58-54. Houston Rockets assignee, Isaiah Hartenstein wasted no time and tallied a double-double in the half with 17 points, 13 rebounds. Two-way player Danuel House Jr. totaled 13 points individually as he aided in the push to get on top after one full half of action.
For the Wolves, Minnesota two-way players C.J. Williams and Jared Terrell combined for 24 points, 12 a piece, before heading to the break.
Iowa was outscored in three of the four quarters tonight but fought hard to force an overtime period. Both teams were at a deadlock 125-125 after regulation and had to earn a decision the hard way.
Once the final buzzer blew, the Vipers locked in their 30th win of the season and clinched the Southwest Division and a playoff berth.
Hartenstein had 22 points and 26 rebounds, a new career-high for the Rockets assignee. This also broke the previous franchise record for rebounds in a single game (24) which was set in 2010 by Mike Harris. Chris Chiozza, Rockets assignee, managed to lock in a double-double behind 18 points and a career-high 14 assists. House Jr. closed out with 28 points, seven rebounds, eight assists. Dakarai Tucker hit seven three-pointers en route to a 25-point performance.
For the Wolves, Williams ended the night with 21 points, five rebounds. Denver Nuggets two-way Brandon Goodwin totaled 21 points, six rebounds and 10 assists which secured the double-double for him. Xavier Silas had 22 points. Terrell reached 17 points this evening for Iowa.
The Vipers will return home to prepare for a matchup against Raptors 905 on March 8. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. (CST). For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2019
- Stockton Kings Dominate Memphis Hustle, Win Sixth Straight Game - Stockton Kings
- Drive Surge Late to Beat Red Claws - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws Can't Hold Lead over Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Overtime Thriller Slips Away from Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Defeats Top Team in NBA G League, Beat Santa Cruz 120-105 - Windy City Bulls
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 120-105 to the Windy City Bulls - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Lose Sunday Matchup in Stockton - Memphis Hustle
- Magic Take Down BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- NAZ Suns out of Sorts in Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Jarquez Smith - Lakeland Magic
- Jordan Sibert Rejoins Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Vamos Los Legends - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers and BOA to Host Together We Can Blood Drive
- Vipers Update Regarding G League Suspension
- Vipers Statement on NBA Suspending Season
- Iowa Over-Powers Vipers
- RGV Vipers Weekly Update: March 9-15