Vamos Los Legends
FRISCO, TX - The Texas Legends (15-28) finished strong in the second half to take the 110-95 victory and clinch the season series 2-1 over the Sioux Falls Skyforce (23-20) on Hispanic Heritage Night.
Texas grabbed the first points of the night and held a close lead early, but Sioux Falls began a 9-0 streak to take their largest lead of the night, up four. The nine-point swing spiked Texas into action and Xavier Rathan-Mayes knocked down back-to-back threes to put the Legends back on top. The two teams exchanged baskets and leads again before Texas took control, finishing the quarter up 29-25. With less than six minutes left in the half, the Legends went up by 12, but a 17-4 run gave the visitors another edge before the buzzer. Daryl Macon knocked down two at the line and the home team found themselves up 51-50 going into the locker room.
Sioux Falls stayed close throughout the third, tying it up midway through, but Texas finished the quarter with six unanswered points to grab a 10-point advantage at the buzzer. The Skyforce came within four again in the fourth but were unable to close the gap as Texas held a double-digit lead for the final six minutes.
The stat lines evidenced the close match, but Texas took the edge shooting 41% to Sioux Falls' 39% and 32% outside over the visitors' 22%. Texas also dished out 23 assists to 15, but the Skyforce won the boards 50-48.
Quincy Acy led the Legends with 21 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 blocks while Rathan-Mayes added the double-double of 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 10 assists. Daryl Macon added 18 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. Xavier Johnson tallied 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists, and Vander Blue grabbed 12 points, 5 rebounds.
Yante Maten finished with a game-high 23 points, 9 rebounds for the Skyforce while Marcus Lee grabbed a game-leading 12 rebounds to go with 8 points, 2 blocks. Charles Cooke added 21 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists, and Duke Mondy tabbed 19 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals.
The Legends travel to Salt Lake City next to take on the Stars Friday at 8pm CT. Fans can catch all the action live on www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2019
- Stockton Kings Dominate Memphis Hustle, Win Sixth Straight Game - Stockton Kings
- Drive Surge Late to Beat Red Claws - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws Can't Hold Lead over Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Overtime Thriller Slips Away from Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Defeats Top Team in NBA G League, Beat Santa Cruz 120-105 - Windy City Bulls
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 120-105 to the Windy City Bulls - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Lose Sunday Matchup in Stockton - Memphis Hustle
- Magic Take Down BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- NAZ Suns out of Sorts in Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Jarquez Smith - Lakeland Magic
- Jordan Sibert Rejoins Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Vamos Los Legends - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- Matt Doherty Joins Legends for Virtual Pursuing Excellence Event
- Legends Host Virtual P.E. Classes for Local School Districts
- Legends Host First Ever Virtual Pursuing Excellence Event with Special Guest Houston Nutt
- Legends Split Series with Clippers
- Legends Fend off Clippers in Final Minutes