Vamos Los Legends
FRISCO, TX - The Texas Legends (15-28) finished strong in the second half to take the 110-95 victory and clinch the season series 2-1 over the Sioux Falls Skyforce (23-20) on Hispanic Heritage Night.
Texas grabbed the first points of the night and held a close lead early, but Sioux Falls began a 9-0 streak to take their largest lead of the night, up four. The nine-point swing spiked Texas into action and Xavier Rathan-Mayes knocked down back-to-back threes to put the Legends back on top. The two teams exchanged baskets and leads again before Texas took control, finishing the quarter up 29-25. With less than six minutes left in the half, the Legends went up by 12, but a 17-4 run gave the visitors another edge before the buzzer. Daryl Macon knocked down two at the line and the home team found themselves up 51-50 going into the locker room.
Sioux Falls stayed close throughout the third, tying it up midway through, but Texas finished the quarter with six unanswered points to grab a 10-point advantage at the buzzer. The Skyforce came within four again in the fourth but were unable to close the gap as Texas held a double-digit lead for the final six minutes.
The stat lines evidenced the close match, but Texas took the edge shooting 41% to Sioux Falls' 39% and 32% outside over the visitors' 22%. Texas also dished out 23 assists to 15, but the Skyforce won the boards 50-48.
Quincy Acy led the Legends with 21 points, 8 rebounds, and 4 blocks while Rathan-Mayes added the double-double of 12 points, 6 rebounds, and 10 assists. Daryl Macon added 18 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists. Xavier Johnson tallied 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists, and Vander Blue grabbed 12 points, 5 rebounds.
Yante Maten finished with a game-high 23 points, 9 rebounds for the Skyforce while Marcus Lee grabbed a game-leading 12 rebounds to go with 8 points, 2 blocks. Charles Cooke added 21 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists, and Duke Mondy tabbed 19 points, 4 rebounds, 5 assists, and 4 steals.
The Legends travel to Salt Lake City next to take on the Stars Friday at 8pm CT. Fans can catch all the action live on www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2019
- Stockton Kings Dominate Memphis Hustle, Win Sixth Straight Game - Stockton Kings
- Drive Surge Late to Beat Red Claws - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws Can't Hold Lead over Drive - Maine Celtics
- Overtime Thriller Slips Away from Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Defeats Top Team in NBA G League, Beat Santa Cruz 120-105 - Windy City Bulls
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 120-105 to the Windy City Bulls - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Lose Sunday Matchup in Stockton - Memphis Hustle
- Magic Take Down BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- NAZ Suns out of Sorts in Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Jarquez Smith - Lakeland Magic
- Jordan Sibert Rejoins Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Vamos Los Legends - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.