Hustle Lose Sunday Matchup in Stockton
Stockton, Calif. - The Memphis Hustle (22-20) lost its second straight game Sunday afternoon, dropping a 126-115 result to the Stockton Kings (27-15) Stockton Arena. The Kings swept the season series 3-0 and extended their winning streak to six games.
Memphis took a 34-30 lead after the opening frame with the help of 14 points from Dusty Hannahs and a 12-of-20 (.600) effort from the field as a team. However, things moved into Stockton's favor in the second. Memphis cooled off on the offensive end (7-22 FG) and the Kings outscored the Hustle 34-21, leading by as many as 12, in the second period. The Kings started the quarter on an 11-2 run and led 64-55 at halftime.
The Hustle were able to regain the lead at 76-75 with 7:00 remaining in the third quarter, but Stockton responded with an 18-2 run over the next 4:17 to take a 15-point lead. Memphis would pull within no less than nine points through the remainder of the game. Stockton dominated the glass, outrebounding Memphis 51-34 and 19-6 on the offensive end, while also assisting on 30 of its 44 made field goals. Additionally, the Kings bench outscored the Hustle bench 61-10.
Dusty Hannahs tied his season-high of 30 points on 11-of-19 shooting (3-5 3P). Tarik Phillip (26 points, 11 assists) was productive yet again, posting his fourth double-double in his last six games to go with five rebounds, two steals and two blocks. Julian Washburn had an efficient 22 points on 10-of-14 shooting to go with eight rebounds and three assists. Yuta Watanabe added 19 points.
Daniel Ochefu and Caleb Swanigan had huge nights down low for Stockton. Ochefu finished just a rebound shy of a double-double (29 points, nine rebounds) and shot 11-of-15. Swanigan had 18 points and 16 rebounds in 25 minutes off the bench. Cody Demps (11 points, 10 assists) recorded a double-double of his own while Marcus Williams had 10 assists as well.
Memphis continues its four-game trip out west against the Agua Caliente Clippers on Tuesday, March 5 against the Agua Caliente Clippers at 9 p.m. CT inside Citizens Business Bank Arena on ESPN+. The team returns to Landers Center on Friday, March 8 at 7 p.m. to take on the first place Santa Cruz Warriors on Facebook Live. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2019
- Stockton Kings Dominate Memphis Hustle, Win Sixth Straight Game - Stockton Kings
- Drive Surge Late to Beat Red Claws - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws Can't Hold Lead over Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Overtime Thriller Slips Away from Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Defeats Top Team in NBA G League, Beat Santa Cruz 120-105 - Windy City Bulls
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 120-105 to the Windy City Bulls - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Lose Sunday Matchup in Stockton - Memphis Hustle
- Magic Take Down BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- NAZ Suns out of Sorts in Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Jarquez Smith - Lakeland Magic
- Jordan Sibert Rejoins Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Vamos Los Legends - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Jarrod Uthoff and Dusty Hannahs Earn All-NBA G League Honors
- Memphis Hustle Issues Statement
- Memphis Grizzlies Community Assistance Fund Supports Memphians in Need During COVID-19 Pandemic
- Memphis Hustle Announce Single Game Ticket Policy for Postponed Games
- Memphis Hustle Waive Nino Johnson