Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 120-105 to the Windy City Bulls
SANTA CRUZ, CA - The Santa Cruz Warriors (29-13) never led this afternoon as the team fell to the hot-shooting Windy City Bulls (24-19) 120-105 at the Sears Centre in Hoffman Estates, Illinois. The Warriors brought the deficit to within four with five minutes remaining before a 12-0 Bulls run secured the win for the home team.
Warriors big man Deyonta Davis secured 24 points on 12-of-14 shooting from the field (85.7 percent FG) to go with 13 rebounds this afternoon. Guard Antonius Cleveland scored 23 points off the bench today, and guard Darius Morris added 21 points with a team-high-tying six assists.
The Bulls hit 15 three-pointers today (40.5 percent 3FG), with six coming from guard Mychal Mulder, who had 29 points on 10-of-14 shooting (71.4 percent) this afternoon. Guard Walter Lemon Jr. logged 21 points and 14 assists today for his tenth double-double of the season, while forward JaKarr Sampson added 19 points and 10 rebounds for his seventh double-double of 2018-19.
The Bulls led wire-to-wire today, starting the afternoon off with a 13-3 run in the first four minutes. The Bulls scored a season-high 39 points in the opening frame behind 65.2 percent shooting (15-of-23 FG) to take a 17-point lead, 39-22.
Santa Cruz made a 10-0 run to bring the deficit to within single digits in the second quarter, with Davis scoring eight of those points during the two-minute run. The Warriors held the Bulls to 26.1 percent shooting (6-of-23 FG) in the period as the team found themselves down ten points at halftime, 62-52.
Morris scored 14 of his 21 points in the fourth quarter to lead a potential Warriors comeback, but Santa Cruz was undone by 2-of-18 shooting from behind the arc (11.1 percent 3FG) in the second half, as Mulder and Sampson's late-game three-pointers sparked the 12-0 run to seal the third straight win for the Bulls.
The Warriors will continue their three-game road trip on Wednesday, March 6 against the Wisconsin Herd (5:00 p.m. PT, ESPN+). Santa Cruz will return to Kaiser Permanente Arena on Wednesday, March 13 against the Greensboro Swarm (7:00 p.m. tip-off, NBC Sports Bay Area Plus), with the first 1,500 in attendance receiving a Baron Davis bobblehead. For tickets to all Santa Cruz Warriors home games, visit santacruzbasketball.com or call (831) 713-4400.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 3, 2019
- Stockton Kings Dominate Memphis Hustle, Win Sixth Straight Game - Stockton Kings
- Drive Surge Late to Beat Red Claws - Grand Rapids Drive
- Vipers Tame the Wolves in Their Own Den to Secure Playoff Berth, Southwest Division Title - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Red Claws Can't Hold Lead over Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Overtime Thriller Slips Away from Wolves - Iowa Wolves
- Windy City Defeats Top Team in NBA G League, Beat Santa Cruz 120-105 - Windy City Bulls
- Santa Cruz Warriors Fall 120-105 to the Windy City Bulls - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Hustle Lose Sunday Matchup in Stockton - Memphis Hustle
- Magic Take Down BayHawks - Lakeland Magic
- NAZ Suns out of Sorts in Oklahoma City - Northern Arizona Suns
- Lakeland Magic Acquire Jarquez Smith - Lakeland Magic
- Jordan Sibert Rejoins Erie - Erie BayHawks
- Hornets Recall Bacon and Graham from Greensboro Swarm - Greensboro Swarm
- Vamos Los Legends - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Santa Cruz Warriors Stories
- Golden State Warriors Recall Guard Jacob Evans III from Santa Cruz
- Santa Cruz Warriors Conclude 2018-19 Season with Defeat to Rio Grande Valley Vipers, 144-125
- Santa Cruz Warriors Advance to Western Conference Finals, Beat the Blue 117-102
- Golden State Warriors Assign Guard Jacob Evans III to Santa Cruz
- Warriors Beat Agua Caliente Clippers 113-109, Match Best Record in NBA G League