Vipers Strike Stockton, 130-105
Stockton, Calif. - The Stockton Kings (21-18), the NBA G League affiliate of the Sacramento Kings, fell to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (13-26), the NBA G League of the Houston Rockets, 130-105. Stockton guard Isaiah Canaan had a game-high 26 points.
Rio Grande started the game strong, taking the lead and keeping it. Rio Grande outscored Stockton 11-2 in the first four minutes of the game. They led by as much as 14 points with three minutes remaining in the first quarter. Stockton would cut the lead down to four points to begin the second quarter, and they would go into the second half trailing Rio Grande 63-54.
In the first half, Rio Grande guard Chris Clemons scored 16 of his - points, shooting 7-of-13 from the field. Stockton guard Marcus Graves added 15 points, shooting 5-of-9 from the field and 3-of-5 from three-point range.
Stockton fought back in the third quarter and would take the lead for the first time at the three-minute mark bringing the score to 84-82. Stockton shot their best in the third quarter, shooting .520 percent from the field and .444 percent from three-point range. Rio Grande led 94-88 going into the fourth quarter.
In the fourth quarter, Rio Grande outscored Stockton 36-17. Stockton didn't score until the eight-minute mark of the quarter, allowing Rio Grande to score 13 unanswered points. The Vipers saw their biggest lead of 28 points with a score of 126-98 with 3:15 remaining in regulation.
Canaan scored 16 points in the second half. Rio Grande guard Isaiah Taylor scored 12 of his 20 points in the second half.
Rio Grande saw seven players post double figures, including their starting five. Center Isaiah Hartenstein led the Vipers with 22 points, 13 rebounds, five assists and four steals as guard Isaiah Taylor added 20 points, five rebounds, and four assists.
Canaan finished with a game-high 26 points for Stockton and added five rebounds and four assists. Forward Robert Franks and Graves both added 15 points apiece.
Stockton will head south for back-to-back games. On Tuesday, March 2, they will face the Agua Caliente Clippers at 7 p.m. On Wednesday, March 4, they will visit the South Bay Lakers for a 7 p.m. tip-off. They are back home on Saturday, March 7, when they host the South Bay Lakers in a rematch at 7 p.m.
Tickets can be purchased at StocktonKings.com/Tickets.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 1, 2020
- Vipers Strike Stockton, 130-105 - Stockton Kings
- Long Island Nets Defeat Division Rival Raptors 905 in Sunday Matinee Game - Long Island Nets
- Wisconsin Herd Clinches First-Ever Playoff Berth - Wisconsin Herd
- Reinking Gets 100th Career Victory at Rocket Mortgage Fieldhouse - Canton Charge
- Indiana Pacers Assign Goga Bitadze and Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Clips Recover But Can't Hold off Jackson's Lakers - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Warriors Fall to Spurs on Second Night of Back-To-Back, 125-111 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Payne and Brown Post Career Nights in Texas' Win over Suns - Texas Legends
- Stars Sweep Season Series against Hustle - Salt Lake City Stars
- Austin Spurs Top Santa Cruz Warriors 125-111 - Austin Spurs
- Oklahoma City Outshoots Iowa - Oklahoma City Blue
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Stockton Kings Stories
- Stockton Kings Reflect on Successes of 2019-20 Season Following NBA G League Canceling Remainder of Games Due to COVID-19
- In this Together: 209 Strong
- Sacramento Kings Issue Statement on NBA Suspending Season
- Stockton Kings Defeat South Bay Lakers, 126-118
- Kings Sit at the Top in League Rankings