Vipers Extend Winning Streak to Five with Victory over Clippers
February 2, 2023 - NBA G League (G League) - Rio Grande Valley Vipers News Release
Ontario, Calif. - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (9-8), the NBA G League affiliate of the Houston Rockets, defeated the Ontario Clippers (9-7) 129-121 on Wednesday night at Toyota Arena.
Both teams battled it out in the first quarter with back-and-forth lead changes. With 6:15 to go in the quarter the Vipers trailed by six points, but the team then went on a 7-0 run and took a 21-20 lead with 4:41 to go. The Clippers quickly turned things around and sent the game into the second quarter with a 33-31 lead.
The battle continued in the second quarter as both teams pushed to come out on top. With 4:20 left on the clock the game was tied 49-49. RGV then slightly pulled away, but not for long as the Clippers came back and tied the game 52-52. RGV then came back and tied the quarter once again 54-54. The Vipers turned on its offensive gears with 3:08 left to go in the quarter. The visiting team scored 16 points while only allowing Ontario to score six points which sent the game into halftime with a score of 71-60 in favor of the Vipers.
During the third quarter, the Vipers led by as many as 18 points with a score of 80-62 and 9:49 left to go, but Ontario then went on 13-0 and clipped the Vipers lead to just five points. With 4:39 still on the clock, RGV had an 87-79 advantage, but the Clippers went on a 9-0 run and took an 88-87 lead. Despite the Clippers efforts to walk away with the lead, the Vipers came back and walked away with a 96-90 lead to end the third.
With 8:12 to go in the fourth, the Vipers had scored 12 points while only allowing the Clippers to score two points which resulted in a 108-92 lead for RGV. Despite the Clippers efforts to come back, the Vipers pulled away with a 129-121 victory.
Houston Rockets Two-Way players Trevor Hudgins and Darius Days led the way for the Vipers with 33 points and 26 points, respectively. Cassius Stanley came off the bench and scored 23 points. Jarrett Culver put up 18 points followed by Ray Spalding with 12 points and Mustapha Heron with 11 points.
Ontario was led by Nate Darling with 27 points. Keaton Wallace followed closely with 25 points. Portland Trail Blazers assignment Greg Brown III contributed 17 points and Xavier Moon put up 15 points. Warith Alatishe obtained a double-double with 14 points and 13 rebounds. Michael Devore finished the night with 12 points followed by Emmitt Williams with 11 points.
The road trip continues for the Vipers as the team travels to Utah to take on the Salt Lake City Stars at Vivint Arena on Saturday, Feb. 4. Tip-off is set for 8:00 p.m. CT and the game can be streamed via www.NBAGLeague.com. For more information visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 2, 2023
- Woodard II Hits Buzzer Beater to Best the Spurs - Austin Spurs
- 905 Charge Past Cleveland with 36-Point Victory - Raptors 905
- Charge Road Streak Snapped in Mississauga - Cleveland Charge
- Game Preview: Skyforce vs Squadron - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Ronnie Burrell Named NBA G League Coach of the Month - Long Island Nets
- Sharife Cooper Named NBA G League Player of the Month - Cleveland Charge
- Stars Host Junior Jazz Night at Vivint Arena February 4 - Salt Lake City Stars
- Saben Lee Signs Two-Way Contract with Phoenix Suns - Raptors 905
- Wisconsin Herd to Host STEAM Workshop at Perry Tipler Middle School - Wisconsin Herd
- Blake Welsey Assigned to Austin Spurs - Austin Spurs
- Vipers Extend Winning Streak to Five with Victory over Clippers - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Clippers Comeback Falls Short Against Vipers - Ontario Clippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Vipers to Host Two Nike Basketball Camps
- Vipers Announce Six Priority Dates for 2023-24 Season
- Vipers Launch New Community Outreach Program
- Darius Days Named to All-NBA G League Second Team and NBA G League All-Rookie Team
- Vipers Falls to Blue Coats in Game One of the Finals