Varnell, Big Fifth Inning Push Rayados Past P-Nats on Sunday
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Taylor Varnell notched a quality start on Sunday afternoon, and the Rayados scored four runs in the fifth inning en route to a 4-1 victory over the Potomac Nationals at BB&T Ballpark.
Winston-Salem (27-28, 65-54) sported its Rayados uniforms for the fifth time this season as a part of Minor League Baseball's "Copa de la Diversi-?n" initiative. Making his second start at the High-A level, Varnell (1-1) allowed just one run on four hits across six innings while striking out five and walking none.
Potomac (29-27, 59-64) notched its only run against Varnell in the top of the first inning. With one out, Cole Freeman and KJ Harrison smacked back-to-back doubles to make it 1-0.
However, the Rayados got to P-Nats starter Jackson Tetreault (2-2) in the bottom of the fifth. With two outs, Tyler Frost lined a double into the left field corner before Mitch Roman singled through the right side to score him and tie the game at one. Then, Andrew Vaughn drew a walk to put runners at first and second.
To continue the rally, Craig Dedelow deposited a single into right field, scoring Roman to make it 2-1. The next batter, Carlos Perez, roped a two-run double down the left-field line to give Winston-Salem a 4-1 edge.
In relief of Varnell, Jose Nin, Jacob Lindgren and Will Kincanon combined to pitch three scoreless frames. Kincanon earned his eighth save of the season by pitching a perfect ninth.
After an off day on Monday, the Dash begin a three-game series with the Lynchburg Hillcats on Tuesday night at 6:30. Right-hander Zach Lewis (5-6, 6.23 ERA) will take the hill for Winston-Salem, while the starter for Lynchburg is to be announced. Pregame coverage begins at 6:15 p.m., and fans can catch all of the action on wsdash.com/broadcast, MiLB.tv and the TuneIn Radio App.
Following the off day and a six-game road trip to Lynchburg and Potomac, the Dash host the Salem Red Sox for the final four home games of the season from August 26-29. The series begins with a free food Monday on August 26. Tuesday's game will be the first-ever 336 Counts Community Day, with first pitch a 3:36 p.m., free parking and discounted food and beer prices.
The series with Salem continues with Winston Wednesday, with $10 presale tickets and the Dash wearing their retro Warthogs jerseys. Thursday, August 29 will be the final regular season home game of the 2019 season. The home finale is a Lowes Foods Thirsty Thursday and a Pups in the Park Night presented by Handy and Handy Orthodontics. Additionally, there will be a Food Truck Festival prior to the game. For tickets and more information, call the Dash at (336) 714-2287 or visit wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Pelicans Sweep the Red Sox in Sunday's Doubleheader - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Swept in Sunday Twin Bill against Myrtle Beach - Salem Red Sox
- Four-Run Sixth Propels Mudcats to Victory in Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- P-Nats Fall 4-1 to Dash in Rubber Match - Potomac Nationals
- Varnell, Big Fifth Inning Push Rayados Past P-Nats on Sunday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Drop Finale in Frederick - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Perez Go-Ahead Single Helps Woodies To Series Win - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pitching Staff Tosses Eight Scoreless in Win - Frederick Keys
- LHP Bryan Hudson activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 18 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- OF Tristen Lutz assigned to Rookie Rocky Mountain from Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (August 18 vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 18 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.