P-Nats Fall 4-1 to Dash in Rubber Match
Winston-Salem, NC - The Potomac Nationals (29-27, 59-64) had not won a road series against the Winston-Salem Dash (27-28, 65-54) since 2015, and despite an early lead ended up on the losing end of Sunday's rubber match by a score of 4-1.
RHP Jackson Tetreault (L, 2-2) started strong in his first P-Nats appearance since late April, but ran into trouble in a four-run fifth that proved to be the difference in the game.
Potomac secured the game's first run on back-to-back doubles from CF Cole Freeman and 1B KJ Harrison, but LHP Taylor Varnell (W, 1-1) bounced back nicely to pitch a quality start and earn his first Carolina League win. The southpaw went 6.0 innings, allowing only four hits and striking out five in a strong effort.
Tetreault worked out of a bases-loaded jam in the fourth to preserve the 1-0 lead, but allowed four straight Dash batters to reach with two outs in the fifth in the game's turning point. CF Tyler Frost doubled, SS Mitch Roman singled, 1B Andrew Vaughn walked and DH Craig Dedelow singled to bounce Tetreault from the game. RHP Francys Peguero got the final out, but not before allowing a two-run double to C Carlos Perez as the Dash took a 4-1 lead.
Peguero, RHP Gabe Klobosits and RHP Ryan Tapani pitched scoreless baseball the rest of the way, but the Potomac offense couldn't solve the Winston-Salem bullpen. RHP Will Kincanon (S, 8) pitched a quick ninth to save the game and take the series.
The P-Nats will enjoy their final scheduled off day of the season on Monday before continuing their road trip against the Frederick Keys on Tuesday. LHP Nick Raquet faces off against RHP Blaine Knight in the opener. First pitch at Nymeo Field is set for 7:00 pm, with the P-Nats Leadoff Show starting at 6:45. Fans can listen to the Potomac broadcast at potomacnationals.com or on the TuneIn Radio App.
The Potomac Nationals of the Carolina League play at Northwest Federal Field at Pfitzner Stadium in Woodbridge, Virginia, and are the Carolina League affiliate of the Washington Nationals. The Potomac Nationals have claimed five Carolina League Championship titles (1982, 1989, 2008, 2010, and 2014) and 10 CL Northern Division Championships. Sponsorship opportunities for the P-Nats' 2019 season and beyond are available, as well as all-inclusive corporate picnic outings to watch the future stars of the Washington Nationals at The Pfitz. 2019 Potomac Nationals season tickets and mini plans are now on sale. For more information on Potomac Nationals 2019 season tickets, mini plans, group outings, picnic packages, fundraisers, and all things Red, White, and Blue, visit the P-Nats online at www.potomacnationals.com, follow the P-Nats on Facebook (@PotomacNationals), Twitter (@PNats42), and Instagram (@pnats42), or call the Potomac Nationals' Extreme Custom Collision Ticket Office at 703-590-2311.
Fredericksburg Baseball is set to begin Carolina League play in 2020 at a brand new, state-of-the-art stadium facility, located at Celebrate Virginia South on Carl D. Silver Parkway near the Fredericksburg Expo & Convention Center in Fredericksburg, VA. Celebrate baseball in The 'Burg and stay up to date with the progress of the new ballpark facility and the team online at www.fredericksburgbaseball.com, and follow Fredericksburg Baseball on Facebook (@FredericksburgBaseball), on Twitter (@FXBGBaseball20), and on Instagram (@fredericksburgbaseball).
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 18, 2019
- Pelicans Sweep the Red Sox in Sunday's Doubleheader - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Salem Swept in Sunday Twin Bill against Myrtle Beach - Salem Red Sox
- Four-Run Sixth Propels Mudcats to Victory in Series Finale - Lynchburg Hillcats
- P-Nats Fall 4-1 to Dash in Rubber Match - Potomac Nationals
- Varnell, Big Fifth Inning Push Rayados Past P-Nats on Sunday - Winston-Salem Dash
- Woodpeckers Drop Finale in Frederick - Fayetteville Woodpeckers
- Perez Go-Ahead Single Helps Woodies To Series Win - Down East Wood Ducks
- Pitching Staff Tosses Eight Scoreless in Win - Frederick Keys
- LHP Bryan Hudson activated from the 7-day Injured List - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- August 18 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- OF Tristen Lutz assigned to Rookie Rocky Mountain from Carolina - Carolina Mudcats
- Winston-Salem Rayados: Game Notes (August 18 vs. Potomac) - Winston-Salem Dash
- August 18 Game Information - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Potomac Nationals Stories
- 2019 Potomac Nationals Season in Review
- Fredericksburg Baseball Team Gets a Name
- Carson Teel Named Carolina League Player of the Month
- Fredericksburg Baseball Hires Nick Hall as New Executive Vice President and General Manager; Bryan Holland and Aaron Johnson Promoted to Vice Presidents
- P-Nats Drub Frederick 11-2 in Franchise's Final Potomac Game