Vande Sompel, Gibson Added to AHL's All-Star Classic
BRIDGEPORT, Conn. - The Bridgeport Sound Tigers, proud AHL affiliate of the New York Islanders, announced Wednesday that defenseman Mitch Vande Sompel and goaltender Christopher Gibson have been added to the Atlantic Division roster for the 2018 AHL All-Star Classic presented by Turning Stone Resort Casino in Utica, N.Y. on Jan. 28-29, 2018.
They replace Tanner Fritz and Sebastian Aho, who will be unavailable for the event.
Vande Sompel, 20, is having a terrific rookie season and currently leads all Sound Tigers defensemen in scoring with 20 points (three goals, 17 assists) in 36 games. He is tied for 21st among AHL defensemen in points and ranks just outside the top 20 in scoring among first-year players as well. In addition, Vande Sompel is 2-for-2 in professional shootout attempts and has collected the game-deciding tally each time, including Sunday's win against the Toronto Marlies.
A native of London, Ont., Vande Sompel played each of the last four seasons in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) between the Oshawa Generals and London Knights. He recorded 174 points (47 goals, 127 assists) in 218 games and helped Oshawa win the 2015 Memorial Cup Championship, playing alongside Islanders forward Michael Dal Colle. Vande Sompel also served as an alternate captain with Oshawa for two seasons and was selected as an OHL All-Star three times.
The 5'10, 190-pound defenseman was selected by the Islanders in the third round (#82 overall) of the 2015 NHL Draft.
Gibson, 25, has been one of the top goaltenders in the AHL this season and his 16 wins are tied for sixth-most in the League. He is 15-8-2 through 25 appearances with a 2.51 goals-against-average, .904 save percentage and two shutouts. Gibson also ranks ninth in minutes played (1,461) and 12th in goals-against-average.
A fifth-year pro, Gibson is 69-42-11 with six shutouts in 131 career AHL games between the Sound Tigers and Toronto Marlies. He is currently sixth on Bridgeport's all-time wins list (40) and seventh in games played among netminders (74). In addition, the Karkkila, Finland native played four NHL games with the Islanders during the 2015-16 season, including his debut on Jan. 2, 2016 against the Pittsburgh Penguins (in relief). Gibson earned his first NHL start on Apr. 5, 2016 and made 29 saves against the Washington Capitals as the Islanders came back from a 3-1 deficit to win 4-3 in overtime, which clinched a spot in the 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Prior to turning pro, Gibson spent four seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens from 2009-13. He earned CHL Goaltender of the Week honors on five occasions and was named to the QMJHL First All-Star Team in 2010-11. The 6'1, 187-pound netminder also posted the best save percentage of any QMJHL goalie that season (.920).
Gibson was initially selected by the Los Angeles Kings in the second round (#49 overall) of the 2011 NHL Draft.
Next Time Out: The Sound Tigers conclude a three-game homestand tonight with a 7 p.m. matchup against the Springfield Thunderbirds at Webster Bank Arena. Fans can follow all of the live action on the Sound Tigers Radio Network and AHL Live, beginning with the pre-game show at 6:45 p.m.
Marvel Night: Meet Spiderman, Hulk, Iron Man and Captain America this Saturday at 7 p.m. when the Sound Tigers host the Hershey Bears at Webster Bank Arena. Special ticket packages are available now through Friday afternoon that include access to the game, a superhero t-shirt and more, starting at just $25. Click here for tickets and more information on Marvel Night, or call the team's front office at 203-345-2300 ext. 7. Doors open at 6 p.m.
Guarantee Your Seats: Flex plans are on sale now for the 2017-18 campaign, offering the greatest savings and ultimate flexibility of all ticket packages. Pick between a full-season, 20-game, 15-game or 10-game plan and you'll also be entitled to exclusive benefits, including the ticket holder exchange policy, which means any unused tickets can be traded for future games. Please contact Brad Dworin at 203-345-4813 or via mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com with questions or to guarantee your seats.
Don't Go It Alone: Whether it's a corporate outing, a fundraiser, or just friends getting together, a group outing with the Sound Tigers will guarantee an unforgettable experience filled with fast-paced action on the ice, great music, promotions and contests at an affordable price. The Sound Tigers have a variety of packages and promotional events to offer. Please call the team's front office at 203-345-2300 ext. 7 for more information on the benefits of bringing your group to a future game!
About the Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Founded in 2001, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Hockey Club is the top minor league affiliate of the New York Islanders. Don't miss your chance to take part in the family fun entertainment happening every home game at Webster Bank Arena. For further information on ticket or sponsorship opportunities, call our office at (203) 345-2300 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. Keep up with the latest Sound Tigers news on Facebook and on Twitter. For more team information, log on to soundtigers.com.
--- Contact: Alan Fuehring (203) 345-4824, Alan Fuehring email@example.com
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2018
- Vande Sompel, Gibson Added to AHL's All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- NEWS Warren Foegele Added to AHL All-Star Classic - Charlotte Checkers
- Roster Changes Announced for 2018 AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- Utica Comets Reach Rare AHL Milestone - Utica Comets
- Amerks Recall Atwal from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- MONSTERS RACE PAST ADMIRALS, 5-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Condors Close Road Trip with Loss to Rockford - Bakersfield Condors
- WINNIPEG JETS BUILD AWARENESS FOR MENTAL WELLNESS - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forwards Olivier Archambault, Stephen MacAulay - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks to Deliver Coffee and Donuts to Local Firehouses and Police - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Small Business Night February 9 - Syracuse Crunch
- UNDERGARMENTS WILL FLY FRIDAY & STAR WARS NIGHT SATURDAY - Bakersfield Condors
- HICKETTS AND TURGEON ASSIGNED TO GRAND RAPIDS - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Forward Michael Chaput to the Comets - Utica Comets
- P-BRUINS WEEK IN REVIEW - Providence Bruins
- Phantoms Weekly News - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- SABRES RECALL TENNYSON FROM ROCHESTER - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- LA Kings Kings Trade Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff to Columbus - Ontario Reign
- Manitoba Moose Weekly - Manitoba Moose
- Hogs Cap Trip with Points in 5 of 6 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Acquire Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff - Cleveland Monsters
- AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE ANNOUNCES SUSPENSIONS - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.