P-BRUINS WEEK IN REVIEW
Providence, RI - Following one of their few rough patches of the season, the Providence Bruins bounced back this weekend with victories in two of their three games and jumped back into second place in the Atlantic Division. With a record of 24-13-3-1 and 52 points, the P-Bruins also have the fifth best record in the Eastern Conference and have reestablished themselves among the AHL's elite. It was easily their best weekend of the calendar year as they halted a season-worst four game losing streak and took four of six possible points.
In one of the best games of the season, Providence took down the first place Penguins 1-0 at the Dunk behind 28 saves from Zane McIntyre and a late power play goal from Tommy Cross. They fell 3-2 in Bridgeport Saturday night, but rode another strong performance from McIntyre and a season best 48 shots on goal Sunday to beat the Thunderbirds 2-0. Ryan Fitzgerald scored the eventual game-winner with seven minutes left and McIntyre recorded his second consecutive shutout.
McIntyre was perfect in his two starts, stopping all 55 shots he faced while posting back-to-back shutouts for the first time in his career. His performance was good enough for the American Hockey League to honor him with Player of the Week honors, the second P-Bruin (Kenny Agostino) to win the award this season. All-Star Jordan Binnington fell in his lone start this weekend, but still is second in the AHL with a 1.88 GAA and is fourth with a save percentage of 92.9%.
The team's scoring was pretty evenly spread out over the weekend with five players earning two points each. Agostino, Peter Cehlarik and Austin Czarnik all had two assists while Fitzgerald and Jordan Szwarz each had a goal and an assist. Szwarz was the only player with a multipoint game and with his goal Sunday added on to his team-leading total of 15. Czarnik continues to lead in overall scoring with 35 points aided by his team leading 26 assists, and his helper total ranks him eighth in the AHL.
Providence has just three more games before the All-Star break with only one of those games coming at home. Their schedule start tomorrow in Lehigh Valley when they take on the Phantoms for the first time this year at 7:05pm. After a day off Thursday, the P-Bruins return home Friday at 7:05pm for Military Appreciation night at the Dunk against the Hershey Bears featuring special jerseys honoring the U.S. Armed Forces. They conclude their weekend by traveling to Springfield for a 7:05pm face-off with the Thunderbirds.
The Providence Bruins are the American Hockey League affiliate of the NHL's Boston Bruins, playing their home games at the Dunkin' Donuts Center in Providence, RI. Spanning more than 25 years, the Boston/Providence affiliation is one of the longest and most successful player development partnerships in professional hockey history.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2018
- Vande Sompel, Gibson Added to AHL's All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- NEWS Warren Foegele Added to AHL All-Star Classic - Charlotte Checkers
- Roster Changes Announced for 2018 AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- Utica Comets Reach Rare AHL Milestone - Utica Comets
- Amerks Recall Atwal from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- MONSTERS RACE PAST ADMIRALS, 5-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Condors Close Road Trip with Loss to Rockford - Bakersfield Condors
- WINNIPEG JETS BUILD AWARENESS FOR MENTAL WELLNESS - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forwards Olivier Archambault, Stephen MacAulay - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks to Deliver Coffee and Donuts to Local Firehouses and Police - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Small Business Night February 9 - Syracuse Crunch
- UNDERGARMENTS WILL FLY FRIDAY & STAR WARS NIGHT SATURDAY - Bakersfield Condors
- HICKETTS AND TURGEON ASSIGNED TO GRAND RAPIDS - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Forward Michael Chaput to the Comets - Utica Comets
- P-BRUINS WEEK IN REVIEW - Providence Bruins
- Phantoms Weekly News - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- SABRES RECALL TENNYSON FROM ROCHESTER - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- LA Kings Kings Trade Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff to Columbus - Ontario Reign
- Manitoba Moose Weekly - Manitoba Moose
- Hogs Cap Trip with Points in 5 of 6 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Acquire Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff - Cleveland Monsters
- AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE ANNOUNCES SUSPENSIONS - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- P-Bruins Regular Season Tickets on Sale Now
- P-Bruins Release 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule
- P-Bruins Announce 2018-19 Home Opener and Preseason Fanfest
- P-Bruins Season Ends in 4-3 Overtime Loss to Phantoms
- Two Goals from Lindblom Lead Phantoms over P-Bruins in Game Three