Manitoba Moose Weekly
NEW LEADER: Mason Appleton took over the Moose points scoring lead on Saturday, assisting on Tucker Poolman's first period goal. The rookie now has 36 points (12G, 24A) in 41 games. In addition to leading the Moose, Appleton is third among AHL rookies in points and leads first year AHL'ers with 24 assists on the season.
SEEKING SCORERS: The Moose are scheduled to get some players back from injury this week, but had to battle through a depleted lineup over the past weekend. Due to injuries, a suspension and call-ups, Manitoba was missing players who account for 67 goals from its lineup on Saturday. That total represents 46 per cent of the 147 goals scored by the Moose this season.
ROSTER MOVES: With the Jets out of their player break, the club recalled Jack Roslovic and Michael Hutchinson from the Moose last week. The Jets also recalled forward Brendan Lemieux earlier today. Manitoba added three players to the fold over the weekend. Jansen Harkins was reassigned to the Moose from Jacksonville. Elgin Pearce was recalled by the Moose from the Icemen and the team signed forward Garrett Meurs to a professional tryout. Harkins has eight points (2G, 6A) in 27 games for the Moose this season, and posted six points (2G, 4A) in six games with the Icemen. Pearce led Jacksonville in scoring with 29 points (13G, 16A) in 37 games. Meurs was second on the Wheeling Nailers with 36 points (15G, 21A) in 37 games. All three got into game action on Saturday.
STAR STRUCK The Moose came out on the wrong side of a two-game set against the Texas Stars this weekend. The visitors came away with a 4-0 victory on Friday, followed by a 5-1 win on Saturday. Photo credit: Jonathan Kozub Friday, Jan. 19: Texas 4 at Manitoba 0 Roope Hintz and Curtis McKenzie scored for Texas twice in a span of 1:30 in the first period of Friday's game. Hintz struck again late in the second period and McKenzie added his second in the third period. Landon Bow made 27 saves for the shutout victory. Saturday, Jan. 20: Texas 5 at Manitoba 1 Texas opened the scoring just 17 seconds into the game and made it 2-0 at the 8:13 mark of the contest. Tucker Poolman got the Moose on the scoreboard late in the opening period, but that was as close as Manitoba would come. The Moose posted 15 shots in a scoreless second period, but Texas pulled away in the third, scoring three times and cruised to the win.
NEXT UP: Belleville, Wednesday, Jan. 24 (6 p.m. CT) at Laval, Friday, Jan. 26 (6:30 p.m. CT) at Laval, Saturday, Jan. 27 (6 p.m. CT). The Moose head out east this week for matchups with the Belleville Senators and Laval Rocket ahead of the All-Star break. Friday's game will be Manitoba's first-ever visit Laval.
Moose defenceman Tucker Poolman tallied his first AHL goal on Saturday. The East Grand Forks, Minn. native had posted five assists in 12 games leading up to his first goal in his 13th contest. Poolman scored his first NHL goal earlier this season, on Dec. 23, while with the Winnipeg Jets.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2018
- Vande Sompel, Gibson Added to AHL's All-Star Classic - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- NEWS Warren Foegele Added to AHL All-Star Classic - Charlotte Checkers
- Roster Changes Announced for 2018 AHL All-Star Classic - San Antonio Rampage
- Utica Comets Reach Rare AHL Milestone - Utica Comets
- Amerks Recall Atwal from Cincinnati - Rochester Americans
- MONSTERS RACE PAST ADMIRALS, 5-0 - Cleveland Monsters
- Condors Close Road Trip with Loss to Rockford - Bakersfield Condors
- WINNIPEG JETS BUILD AWARENESS FOR MENTAL WELLNESS - Manitoba Moose
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Forwards Olivier Archambault, Stephen MacAulay - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks to Deliver Coffee and Donuts to Local Firehouses and Police - Rochester Americans
- Syracuse Crunch to Hold Small Business Night February 9 - Syracuse Crunch
- UNDERGARMENTS WILL FLY FRIDAY & STAR WARS NIGHT SATURDAY - Bakersfield Condors
- HICKETTS AND TURGEON ASSIGNED TO GRAND RAPIDS - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Canucks Reassign Forward Michael Chaput to the Comets - Utica Comets
- P-BRUINS WEEK IN REVIEW - Providence Bruins
- Phantoms Weekly News - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- SABRES RECALL TENNYSON FROM ROCHESTER - Rochester Americans
- The Bridgeport Report - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- LA Kings Kings Trade Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff to Columbus - Ontario Reign
- Manitoba Moose Weekly - Manitoba Moose
- Hogs Cap Trip with Points in 5 of 6 Games - Rockford IceHogs
- CLEVELAND MONSTERS: Blue Jackets Acquire Goaltender Jeff Zatkoff - Cleveland Monsters
- AMERICAN HOCKEY LEAGUE ANNOUNCES SUSPENSIONS - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.