Two Players Have Successful Debut, Wild Things Win Rubber Game
WASHINGTON, Pa. - In Thursday's rubber game against the Miners, the Washington Wild Things got it all en route to a win. Washington had good pitching, with the Miners scoring their two runs in the first and then nothing more, good hitting, with nine runs on 14 hits and five multi-hit performances and good defense, with several great plays and another errorless game for the best defense statistically in the league.
Southern Illinois scored two runs in the first inning on a two-run single by Andy Cosgrove off AJ Bogucki, who ended up working through traffic and a high pitch count to get through four innings of work in his second start with the club. He struck out five.
The Wild Things scored three in the third inning. Freshly-signed left fielder Cameron Baranek singled and went to second on an error and was knocked in by freshly-signed catcher Drew Bene, who, with the RBI single, notched his first professional hit and RBI. Later in the frame, second baseman Shaine Hughes doubled home a pair.
JJ Fernandez extended the lead with his second home run of the series, a solo shot to open the fourth, before a run scored after a Ryan Cox single and error by the right fielder. The Wild Things led 5-1 after four, before adding two in the fifth on a two-run triple by Fernandez. Shaine Hughes hit a solo shot and Baranek plated Roa with a single for his first Wild Things' RBI.
Carter Johnson threw three, scoreless innings for the win, before BJ Sabol and James Meeker combined to throw the final two frames scoreless in the Wild Things' victory.
Saige Jenco, Hughes, Fernandez, Baranek and Bene had multi-hit nights, while Hughes and Fernandez both drove home three runs.
The Things now turn their attention to a weekend series with the Florence Freedom. The first pitch of Friday's series opener at Wild Things Park is slated for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 6, 2019
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Crushers - River City Rascals
- Slammers Walk-Off in the 12th Inning to Win Series vs Otters - Joliet Slammers
- Two Players Have Successful Debut, Wild Things Win Rubber Game - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Lose Finale in Washington - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Squander Early Lead - Schaumburg Boomers
- Freedom Drop Rubber Match to Windy City - Florence Freedom
- ThunderBolts Depart Florence with Series Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom's Brown to be Inducted into Frontier League Hall of Fame - Florence Freedom
- Miners Outlast Wild Things in Wednesday Marathon - Southern Illinois Miners
- Wild Things Fall in 14 Innings Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Come up Short in Loss to Slammers - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- Roa Drives Home Three in Loss to Crushers
- Wild Things Leave Opportunities on Base in Finale
- Everything Comes Together as Wild Things Take Series
- Five Wild Things Collect Multi-Hit Performances in Win
- Opportunities Left on the Field for Washington in Rubber-Game Loss