Wild Things Fall in 14 Innings Wednesday
WASHINGTON, Pa. - Pitching was the highlight of Wednesday's middle game between the Southern Illinois Miners (12-9) and the Washington Wild Things (8-16) as the Miners outlasted the Wild Things at Wild Things Park, 5-4 in 14 innings.
The Miners struck and second, as they scored a singular run in each of the third and sixth innings before Washington got on the board with a Ryan Cox sacrifice fly in the seventh.
Most of the damage in the 14-inning affair was done late. Miners' starter Marty Anderson and Wild Things' starter Nick Wegmann both earned quality starts and no decisions, and both bullpens were effective in the contest.
After the Miners grabbed a 3-1 lead in the ninth, designated hitter Mikael Mogues, playing his second game with the Wild Things, launched a two-run, game-tying home run in the ninth which sent it to extras.
After both teams came up empty in the 10th, the international tie breaker rule was put into effect. Both teams came up empty in the 11th and 12th before trading a run each in the 13th. Ultimately, it was a base hit by SIM shortstop Bryant Flete that made the difference, as his single broke the 4-4 tie in the 14th inning. The Wild Things were able to get the winning run on board but couldn't plate even the tying run and fell in the middle game, thus setting up a rubber game tomorrow against the Miners.
Nick Durazo tossed four extra innings and struck out seven, as he drew the duties in all four international tie-breaker innings and was excellent, despite being tagged with the loss and two unearned runs. Andrew Bernstein got the win for the Miners, as he tossed three extra frames.
The two teams will reset and lock horns for the finale of the set Thursday at 7:05 p.m. at Wild Things Park. Austin Dubsky goes for the Miners against AJ Bogucki for the Wild Things.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from June 6, 2019
- Rascals Split Doubleheader with Crushers - River City Rascals
- Slammers Walk-Off in the 12th Inning to Win Series vs Otters - Joliet Slammers
- Two Players Have Successful Debut, Wild Things Win Rubber Game - Washington Wild Things
- Miners Lose Finale in Washington - Southern Illinois Miners
- Boomers Squander Early Lead - Schaumburg Boomers
- Freedom Drop Rubber Match to Windy City - Florence Y'alls
- ThunderBolts Depart Florence with Series Win - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Freedom's Brown to be Inducted into Frontier League Hall of Fame - Florence Y'alls
- Miners Outlast Wild Things in Wednesday Marathon - Southern Illinois Miners
- Wild Things Fall in 14 Innings Wednesday - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Come up Short in Loss to Slammers - Evansville Otters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Washington Wild Things Stories
- Slammin Sammies and Road Warriors Victorious
- Saturday Sees a Tie and a Wild Things Win
- Two Winners Win Going Away Friday at Wild Things Park
- Baseball Brilliance Wins 5th in 6 Games, Second Game Cancelled
- Slammin' Sammies Score 8 Unanswered to Win, Nate Peden Dazzles for Baseball Brilliance