Two Pelicans Named To Year-End All-Star Team
MYRTLE BEACH, SC - This morning the historic Carolina League announced the "Year-End" All-Star team which included two Myrtle Beach Pelicans. Outfielder Carl Loadenthal and Third Baseman Van Pope were selected to the team voted upon each year by the managers, general managers, and media in the league.
Loadenthal has put together a fine season in Myrtle Beach hitting .317 with five home runs and 43 RBI's. The speedy outfielder is in line to win the Carolina League batting crown and leads all full-season Atlanta Braves farm clubs with a .299 overall batting average this season. "Loady" also leads the league with a .416 on-base percentage. Loadenthal was tabbed as the Carolina League "Player of the Month" in back-to-back months, hitting .361 in June and .374 in July. The former Rider University product has flashed his speed during the `06 campaign, swiping the 5th most bases in the Atlanta Braves organization with 25.
Pope enters the final five games of the season hitting .267 with 15 home runs and 73 RBI's. His 15 home runs ranks 3rd in the entire Atlanta Braves organization in round-trippers. Pope leads the Carolina League in runs scored this season after stepping on home plate 77 times and needs just five more runs to tie the Pelicans single-season record for most runs, currently held by Richard Lewis (82 runs in 2002). Recently Pope was tabbed by "Baseball America" as the "Best Fielding Third Baseman" in the Carolina League. He was also listed as having the "Best Infield Arm" in the league. The native of Jackson, Mississippi set career highs this season in home runs, RBI's, doubles, walks, and stolen bases.
On Friday night the Pelicans entertain the Nationals in a doubleheader (two-7 inning games) starting at 5:02 pm. Gates will open up at 4:02 pm. For tickets please call 843-918-6000 or purchase tickets online at myrtlebeachpelicans.com. The Pelicans have just 5 games remaining in the 2006 season, so get your tickets now! It's your last chance to watch the future of the Atlanta Braves this year.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 1, 2006
- Warthogs Split Doubleheader with Kinston - Winston-Salem Dash
- Kinston Splits Double Header - Kinston Indians
- P-Nats Drop Pelicans Not Once, But Twice - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Doubleheader cancelled - Salem Red Sox
- Rocks rained out in Salem again - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Games Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- James named as postseason All-Star - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Keys' regular season home finale cancelled - Frederick Keys
- Two Pelicans Named To Year-End All-Star Team - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Myrtle Beach Pelicans Stories
- Special Guest Appearance by Darius Rucker for Hurricane Florence Benefit Concert
- Cubs, Pelicans Extend PDC Agreement
- Pelicans Announce Ticket Fundraiser for Local Flood Victims
- Pelicans Unveil Summer Month-Loaded 2019 Schedule
- Minor League Teams Across Carolinas Unite for Storm Relief