Two Big Innings the Difference as Birds Drop Opener to RedHawks
FARGO, N.D. - Two big innings from the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks were enough for a 9-2 victory over the Sioux Falls Canaries on Saturday night, in the opener of both teams' last series of the year.
The game started out as a pitchers' duel. Midway through the fifth inning, neither team had scored and the two clubs had registered only four combined hits.
The RedHawks took control in the bottom of the fifth. Catcher Quinn Irey drove in the first run of the night with an RBI single, and Tim Colwell drove in another with a fielders' choice.
Brennan Metzger reached on an error from Birds third baseman Patrick Fiala with two out, bringing Devan Ahart to the plate. Ahart crushed a three-run homer to make it 5-0.
The RedHawks added four more in the next frame, including a two-run triple from Yhoxian Medina and an RBI single from Derrick Fox.
Thompson left the game after six innings. He allowed nine runs (five earned) on seven hits, walking three and striking out six.
The Canaries got both their runs in the seventh, when center fielder Jordan Smith hit a two-run home run off of RedHawks starter Brandon Barker. It was Smith's third home run of the season.
RedHawks closer Randy McCurry worked a 1-2-3 ninth to finish off the game.
The Birds have a quick turnaround tomorrow for game two of the series at 1 p.m. Michael Tamburino will start for Fargo-Moorhead; the Birds' starter hasn't yet been announced. Birds fans can tune in on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2018
- Saltdogs Hit Four Homers and Split Doubleheader with Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Clinch Final Series of 2018 - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Break Skid with 6-5 Victory over Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- X's Win Behind Pair of Sermo Home Runs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Win Penultimate Game, Series over Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Sermo Ends Wingnuts Postseason Chances - Wichita Wingnuts
- Birds Lose Nail-Biter to RedHawks in Penultimate Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Watch Every 2018 RailCats Playoff Game with the "Playoff Pass" - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Collier Wins Second Straight Pitcher of the Month Award - Kansas City T-Bones
- Two Big Innings the Difference as Birds Drop Opener to RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts Keep X's at Bay and Playoff Hopes Alive - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.