Railroaders Clinch Final Series of 2018
GRAND PRAIRIE, Texas - Justin Byrd stole home for the first time in franchise history, and Cleburne cruised to an 8-5 win to clinch the series over the Texas AirHogs at AirHogs Stadium on Sunday night.
Byrd stole a pair of bases - including home - to add to Cleburne's lead in the 2nd inning after the Railroaders opened the scoring with three runs in the 1st. Angelo Gumbs had an RBI single before ultimately scoring on a wild pitch, and Paul Ludden was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to drive in his first run as a Railroader.
Cleburne added to the lead in the 3rd inning when Cam Monger led off the inning with a single and eventually scored on one of four Texas errors on the night.
Alex Polston drove in a run with a sacrifice fly to extend the lead to 6-0 in the 5th inning, but the AirHogs rallied and halved the deficit in the bottom-half of the frame. Liang Pei hit a two-run single, and Stewart Ijames drove in another with a two-out single.
Cam Monger immediately answered with a two-run single that scored Patrick Palmeiro and Levi Scott in the 6th inning - his 39th and 40th RBIs of 2018.
Correlle Prime drove in a run with a groundout in the 8th inning, and Pei singled in one more run in the 9th.
Josh Hodges went six innings in his final start of the year, giving up three runs on five hits with no walks and two strikeouts. Will Mathis pitched a scoreless inning, and Patrick Young did the same.
Patrick Palmeiro had a pair of hits and scored a run, while Angelo Gumbs went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored. Cam Monger had a three-hit night with a pair of RBI and a run scored, and Dustin Williams hit his first triple of the year.
Cleburne finishes the road schedule with an 12-37 record, and has a chance to sweep a series for the first time since June 5-7, 2017.
Cleburne returns home for the 2018 season finale on Monday, Sept. 3 with a special first pitch time of 1:05 p.m., and all ticket/promotional information can be found at www.railroaderbaseball.com or by calling (817) 945-8705.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2018
- Saltdogs Hit Four Homers and Split Doubleheader with Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Clinch Final Series of 2018 - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Break Skid with 6-5 Victory over Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- X's Win Behind Pair of Sermo Home Runs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Win Penultimate Game, Series over Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Sermo Ends Wingnuts Postseason Chances - Wichita Wingnuts
- Birds Lose Nail-Biter to RedHawks in Penultimate Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Watch Every 2018 RailCats Playoff Game with the "Playoff Pass" - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Collier Wins Second Straight Pitcher of the Month Award - Kansas City T-Bones
- Two Big Innings the Difference as Birds Drop Opener to RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts Keep X's at Bay and Playoff Hopes Alive - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.