Birds Lose Nail-Biter to RedHawks in Penultimate Game
The Canaries missed a potential grand slam by a couple of feet, losing a tight one to the Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks on Sunday afternoon at Newman Outdoor Field.
Fargo-Moorhead won the game 3-1 in the next-to-last game of the season for both teams.
The RedHawks used some crafty baserunning to score the game's first run in the second inning. With Leo Piña on third and Charlie Valerio on first, Valerio was picked off at first base, and got into a rundown. That gave Piña time to score from third, making it 1-0 Fargo-Moorhead.
The Canaries tied the game in the sixth on an RBI single from David Bergin, scoring Mitch Glasser.
The very next RedHawks batter broke the tie. Tim Colwell led off the home half of the sixth with a solo home run, his third of the year. That made it 2-1 RedHawks.
Sioux Falls starter Luis Pollorena, typically a reliever, dug deep for six innings of two-run ball. He walked no one and struck out a season-high six.
The Canaries threatened in the eighth inning, loading the bases with one out against RedHawks reliever Geoff Broussard. After Jordan Dean popped out, Fargo-Moorhead manager Michael Schlact brought Randy McCurry in for a four-out save.
Jordan Smith was due up for the Birds, and hit a towering fly ball to right field that went just foul. He later grounded out to end the threat.
The RedHawks got an insurance run off of Kyle Schepel to make it 3-1 in the eighth, and McCurry finished off his 17th save of the year with a scoreless ninth.
The Canaries have one more game this season, a Labor Day matinee to finish their series with the RedHawks. First pitch is at 1 p.m.; Mark Seyler will start for the Birds against Fargo-Moorhead's Trey McNutt. Birds fans can tune in to the game on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 98.1 FM and AM 1230 KWSN.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from September 2, 2018
- Saltdogs Hit Four Homers and Split Doubleheader with Dogs - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Railroaders Clinch Final Series of 2018 - Cleburne Railroaders
- Saints Break Skid with 6-5 Victory over Goldeyes - St. Paul Saints
- Charleston Breaks Appearances Record, Goldeyes Edged Late - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- X's Win Behind Pair of Sermo Home Runs - Sioux City Explorers
- RedHawks Win Penultimate Game, Series over Canaries - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Sermo Ends Wingnuts Postseason Chances - Wichita Wingnuts
- Birds Lose Nail-Biter to RedHawks in Penultimate Game - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Watch Every 2018 RailCats Playoff Game with the "Playoff Pass" - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Collier Wins Second Straight Pitcher of the Month Award - Kansas City T-Bones
- Two Big Innings the Difference as Birds Drop Opener to RedHawks - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts Keep X's at Bay and Playoff Hopes Alive - Sioux City Explorers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.