Two Atlanta United 2 Players Receive International Call-Ups
ATLANTA - Atlanta United 2 today announced George Campbell has been called up to the United States U-20 National Team while Bienvenue Kanakimana was called into Burundi's senior National Team for the upcoming FIFA window from Sept. 2-10. Campbell will join the U20s for two friendlies in Rogaska, Slovenia where it will face Croatia's U-20s on Sept. 5 and the United Arab Emirates U-23 team on Sept. 9. Kanakimana joins Burundi for a pair of African Qualifiers for the FIFA 2022 World Cup against Tanzania on Sept. 4 and Sept. 8.
Campbell, 18, is receiving his first call-up to any level of the U.S. Youth National Teams. The Academy center back made his professional debut this season against Hartford Athletic on March 9 where he was named Man of the Match. Campbell has played in 16 matches, making 15 starts this season. On July 9, he became the sixth player to sign as a Homegrown in club history, effective Jan. 1, 2020.
Kanakimana, 19, will join Burundi's senior National Team for the first time after previously featuring with Burundi's U-17, U-20 and U-23 Youth National Teams. He has scored five goals across all matches for the U-20 and U-23 teams. Kanakimana is in his first season with ATL UTD 2 and leads the team with six goals in 14 appearances. The forward was named the USL Championship Player of the Week for Week 22 after he scored a hat trick including the game-winner in a 4-2 win against Loudoun United on Aug. 2.
ATL UTD 2 (5-15-5, 20 points) returns to action Wednesday, Sept. 4 against Birmingham Legion FC at 7:30 p.m. EST at Fifth Third Bank Stadium. The match will be streamed live on ESPN+.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 30, 2019
- Real Monarchs SLC Plays to 2-2 Draw against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-5 on the Road to Tacoma Defiance - San Antonio FC
- Indy Eleven, Louisville City FC Draw 1-1 Once Again - Indy Eleven
- LouCity Draws with Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Southern Derby Rivals Split Points - Charlotte Independence
- Battery, Independence Draw 0-0 After Frustrating Offensive Showing - Charleston Battery
- Fury FC Fall to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at Home - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Tame Fury FC, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Swope Park Rangers on Sunday - Philadelphia Union II
- STLFC Academy Alum Patrick Schulte Called into U20 USMNT Camp - Saint Louis FC
- Two Atlanta United 2 Players Receive International Call-Ups - Atlanta United 2
- OCSC, New Mexico Feature in Sunday Showdown - Orange County SC
- Phoenix Rising FC Set to Finish Two-Match Road Swing in Colorado Springs - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno to Host Portland Timbers 2 After Bye Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Independence, Brightway Insurance Sign Two-Year Partnership - Charlotte Independence
- Match Preview: #TBRvNSH - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Closes out Busy August at Loudoun United on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Game Day: LouCity Battles Indy Eleven Tonight - Louisville City FC
- Independence Announce Goalkeeper Transactions - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United 2 Stories
- Atlanta United 2 Closes out Season with 3-1 Defeat
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs the Miami FC
- Atlanta United 2 Defeats New York Red Bulls II 5-3 in Home Finale
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs New York Red Bulls II
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 2-1 at Home to Tampa Bay Rowdies