OCSC, New Mexico Feature in Sunday Showdown
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Orange County SC are back on the road this week after taking all six points from their two-match home stand. The two teams first met in match week three, a match that ended in a 2-2 draw after some added time heroics from veterans Liam Trotter and Leonardo.
Fortunes have varied wildly for the two sides, with New Mexico going on an extended Open Cup run before they were ultimately defeated by runners-up Minnesota United in the quarter finals. Now, as the summer winds to a close, the two sides find themselves separated by just one point and one place in the standings.
Orange County have won three of their last five, highlighting that August was mostly a successful month for the side. The last two matches have seen the offense score six times, while the defense has conceded just once. Darwin Jones and Michael Seaton have formed a lethal partnership up top, with Aodhan Quinn and Jerry van Wolfgang also finding the back of the net in recent weeks.
New Mexico's form has not been as exciting. The side only earned two points from four matches, including a 5-0 blowout loss at the hands of San Antonio FC on August 24. The atmosphere at Isotopes Park cannot be ignored however, and the OC defense will be tested by the likes of Santi Moar, Chris Wehan, and Kevaughn Frater, who have combined for 31 of the 45 goals scored for New Mexico.
With two strong offenses going head to head, the match should be an exciting affair. Both teams occupy the play-in places, but a win could see either side rise as high as fourth place, with nine games remaining.
Kevin Alston, Liam Trotter, and Vinicius will not travel as they continue their respective returns from injury. The hosts will be missing central midfielder Saalih Muhammad, who will be serving the first of a three-game suspension after receiving a straight red card last weekend.
The match kicks off at 3pm Pacific at Isotopes Park in Albuquerque. The game will also be broadcast live on ESPN+ in the United States.
OCSC's joint top scorers are Michael Seaton and Darwin Jones, each with nine goals. Aodhan Quinn finishes the top three with seven.
New Mexico United have conceded the fourth-most goals of any team in the Western Conference.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 30, 2019
- Real Monarchs SLC Plays to 2-2 Draw against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-5 on the Road to Tacoma Defiance - San Antonio FC
- Indy Eleven, Louisville City FC Draw 1-1 Once Again - Indy Eleven
- LouCity Draws with Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Southern Derby Rivals Split Points - Charlotte Independence
- Battery, Independence Draw 0-0 After Frustrating Offensive Showing - Charleston Battery
- Fury FC Fall to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at Home - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Tame Fury FC, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Swope Park Rangers on Sunday - Bethlehem Steel FC
- STLFC Academy Alum Patrick Schulte Called into U20 USMNT Camp - Saint Louis FC
- Two Atlanta United 2 Players Receive International Call-Ups - Atlanta United 2
- OCSC, New Mexico Feature in Sunday Showdown - Orange County SC
- Phoenix Rising FC Set to Finish Two-Match Road Swing in Colorado Springs - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno to Host Portland Timbers 2 After Bye Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Independence, Brightway Insurance Sign Two-Year Partnership - Charlotte Independence
- Match Preview: #TBRvNSH - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Closes out Busy August at Loudoun United on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Game Day: LouCity Battles Indy Eleven Tonight - Louisville City FC
- Independence Announce Goalkeeper Transactions - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orange County SC Stories
- OCSC End 2019 Regular Season on a High Note
- Seed Planted for Frantic Finish
- Orange County Fight Back for Three Points on the Road
- OCSC Journey North to Battle Sacramento Republic FC
- Head Coach Raphael Wicky Names USA Roster for 2019 Fifa U-17 World Cup in Brazil