Real Monarchs SLC Plays to 2-2 Draw against OKC Energy FC
HERRIMAN, Utah - Real Monarchs SLC (10-8-6, 36 points) split the points with OKC Energy FC at Zions Bank Stadium on Friday night, playing to a 2-2 draw in front of 2,091 fans in Herriman.
DF Konrad Plewa converted a stunning first half bicycle kick before FW Douglas Martínez added his 11th goal of the year in the draw.
Postgame Quotes from SLC vs OKC
The first half saw both sides testing one another while falling into the rhythm of the match. MF Maikel Chang got a head to the ball that looked to dip just under the crossbar midway through the first half while Martínez tested Energy FC goalkeeper Cody Laurendi with two back-to-back shots, which he was able to put stops to. The Monarchs got the best of Energy FC in first half stoppage time when Plewa put away his second goal of the season with a bicycle kick to take a goal advantage into the break.
Energy FC was quick to level the scoring in the second half as Rafael Garcia stepped up to convert a free kick opportunity that found the back of the net at the far post. The contest went back and forth for the remainder of the match as the Monarchs found a second goal from Martínez, who redirected a cross in from Chang in the 79th minute. Immediately after play resumed, Energy FC launched a counter attack that ended with another equalizing goal from Deshorn Brown. The Energy FC attack mounted in the dying moments as it searched for the go-ahead goal, but the Monarchs defense solidified and held off the OKC attack to end the game 2-2.
UP NEXT: Real Monarchs SLC remains at home for a midweek game against it's I-15 rival, Las Vegas Lights FC. The match is scheduled for Wednesday, September 4 where kickoff from Zions Bank Stadium is set for 7:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN
SLC: Konrad Plewa (James Moberg), 46th minute: Real Monarchs SLC found its rhythm throughout the first half that resulted in mounting pressure near the halftime break. During the final attacking play in stoppage time, Moberg lofted a cross into the penalty area where Plewa met the ball with a bicycle kick that slipped past the Energy FC goalkeeper for the opening goal.
OKC: Rafael Garcia, 52nd minute: After earning a free kick at the corner of the box, Garcia took his shot that slipped through traffic and found the back of the net to pull back the Monarchs lead.
SLC: Douglas Martínez (Maikel Chang), 79th minute: As the Monarchs got in around the Energy FC net, Chang lofted a ball towards the far post where Martínez met the cross. Martínez jumped to redirect the ball with the inside of his foot and convert to give the Monarchs the lead once more.
OKC: Deshorn Brown (Alvin Jones), 80th minute: Shortly after the whistle blew following the Monarchs goal, Energy FC was able to strip the ball and get it forward toward Jones, who crossed the ball to the far post where Brown got his head in to push the ball in past GK David Ochoa.
KEY SAVES AND DEFENSIVE STOPS
OKC: Cody Laurendi, 14th minute: Amid an aggressive Real Monarchs attack, MF Maikel Chang was positioned perfectly in the middle of the penalty area to meet a cross with his head. The ball began to dip just under the crossbar, but Laurendi was quick to get a hand up and deflect the effort over the crossbar.
OKC: Cody Laurendi, 40th minute: DF Kalen Ryden kicked off a massive counterattack for the Monarchs that lead to Jack Blake sending the ball across to find Martinez who fired the shot at the near post. Laurendi was there to meet the ball with a deflection that Martinez tried clean up, but was deflected again.
- DF Konrad Plewa tallied his second goal of the season with a stunning bicycle kick to provide Real Monarchs with the lead going into the second half.
- Real Monarchs SLC moves to a record of 21-3-4 at Zions Bank Stadium, taking 67 points since opening the stadium in April 2018.
Match: Real Monarchs SLC vs OKC Energy FC
Date: August 30, 2019
Venue: Zions Bank Stadium; Herriman, Utah
Weather: 82 degrees and clear skies
Scoring Summary 1 2 F
Real Monarchs SLC 1 1 2
OKC Energy FC 0 2 2
SLC: Konrad Plewa (James Moberg), 45'+1
OKC: Rafael Garcia, 52'
SLC: Douglas Martinez (Maikel Chang), 79'
OKC: Deshorn Brown (Alvin Jones), 80'
Real Monarchs SLC (4-2-3-1): David Ochoa; James Moberg (Steve Jasso, 74'), Kalen Ryden, Noah Powder, Konrad Plewa; Luis Arriaga (Cristian Calix, 87'), Maikel Chang, Jack Blake, Jordan Pena, Julian Vazquez (Luis Palma, 79'); Douglas Martínez
Subs not used: Evan Finney, Sam Brown, Kyle Coffee, Damian German
OKC Energy FC (4-2-3-1): Cody Laurendi; Christian Ibeagha, Mekeil Williams, Alvin Jones, Atiba Harris; Owayne Omar Gordon, Callum Ross, Christian Eissele (Cordell Cato, 90'), Rafael García, Deshorn Brown; Je-Vaughn Watson (Jonathan Brown, 79')
Subs not used: Derek Gebhard, Kyle Hyland, Kalokwera Okot, Bryan Byars
Stats Summary: SLC/OKC
Shots: 12 / 7
Shots on Goal: 5 / 2
Saves: 0 / 3
Corner Kicks: 7 / 7
Fouls: 9 / 10
Offside: 0 / 1
OKC - Christian Ibeagha (Caution) 21'
SLC - Konrad Plewa (Caution) 52'
Referee: Sergii Demianchuk
Assistant Referees: Baboucarr Jallow, Karsten Gillwald
4th Official: Casey Harward
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 30, 2019
- Real Monarchs SLC Plays to 2-2 Draw against OKC Energy FC - Real Monarchs SLC
- San Antonio FC Falls 1-5 on the Road to Tacoma Defiance - San Antonio FC
- Indy Eleven, Louisville City FC Draw 1-1 Once Again - Indy Eleven
- LouCity Draws with Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Southern Derby Rivals Split Points - Charlotte Independence
- Battery, Independence Draw 0-0 After Frustrating Offensive Showing - Charleston Battery
- Fury FC Fall to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC at Home - Ottawa Fury FC
- Hounds Tame Fury FC, 4-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Hosts Swope Park Rangers on Sunday - Bethlehem Steel FC
- STLFC Academy Alum Patrick Schulte Called into U20 USMNT Camp - Saint Louis FC
- Two Atlanta United 2 Players Receive International Call-Ups - Atlanta United 2
- OCSC, New Mexico Feature in Sunday Showdown - Orange County SC
- Phoenix Rising FC Set to Finish Two-Match Road Swing in Colorado Springs - Phoenix Rising FC
- Reno to Host Portland Timbers 2 After Bye Week - Reno 1868 FC
- Independence, Brightway Insurance Sign Two-Year Partnership - Charlotte Independence
- Match Preview: #TBRvNSH - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Closes out Busy August at Loudoun United on Saturday - North Carolina FC
- Game Day: LouCity Battles Indy Eleven Tonight - Louisville City FC
- Independence Announce Goalkeeper Transactions - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Monarchs SLC Stories
- Real Monarchs Stun Phoenix Rising FC 2-1 with Stoppage Time Winner
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits Phoenix Rising FC in Final Road Trip of 2019 Regular Season
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops Orange County SC, 2-0
- Real Monarchs SLC Seeks Playoff Berth at Home against Orange County SC on Wednesday
- Real Monarchs SLC Earns 2-1 Comeback Victory over Reno 1868 FC