Toronto Argonauts Unveil 2020 Draft Class
TORONTO - The Toronto Argonauts added to their Canadian content this evening with seven picks in the 2020 CFL Draft.
ARGOS 2020 CFL DRAFT CLASS
Round Pick Name Position College
1 2 Dejon Brissett Wide Receiver Virginia
1 9 Theren Churchill Offensive Line Regina
2 11 Jack Cassar Linebacker Carleton
2 20 Sam Acheampong* Defensive Line Wilfrid Laurier
3 28 Dylan Giffen Offensive Line Western
5 42 Dion Pellerin Fullback Waterloo
6 48 Samuel Baker Wide Receiver Saskatchewan
Brissett, 6'1 and 195-pounds, played at the University of Virginia in 2019, playing 12 games and catching two passes for 18 yards for the Cavaliers. The native of Mississauga spent four seasons at The University of Richmond (2015-2018) before his move to UV (received a medical redshirt in 2018 after an injury ended his season after three games). At Richmond, the receiver caught 86 passes for 1,282 yards and nine touchdowns, while adding 941 kick return yards and a score in 33 career games for the Spiders. Brissett was named First-Team All-CAA following the 2017 season after hauling in 63 passes for 896 yards and seven majors.
Churchill, 6-6 and 295-pounds, spent three seasons at the University of Regina (2017-2019) where he played in all 25 games, starting all 25 at right tackle. The Stettler, Alberta native played four seasons of junior football with the Edmonton Huskies before his time at Regina.
Cassar, 6'4 and 240-pounds, spent the last four seasons at Carleton University (2016-2019) where he was named OUA Outstanding Defensive Player and an All-Canadian in 2019 after posting 44 tackles, four sacks and one fumble recovery in seven games. The Mississauga native was an OUA First Team All-Star the year before in 2018 after a 62.5 tackle, 1.5 sack campaign with one interception over eight games. For his career the linebacker racked up 157 total tackles, eight sacks and one interception in 31 games for the Ravens.
Acheampong, 6-5 and 247-pounds, played the last four seasons (2016-2019) at Wilfrid Laurier University where he was an OUA First Team All-Star in 2019 after posting 19 tackles, 5.5 sacks and one forced fumble in eight games. The Brampton native helped the Golden Hawks win the OUA championship in 2016 and for his career tallied 53 tackles, 11.5 sacks and one forced fumble for the purple and gold.
Giffen, 6-8 and 335-pounds, spent five years at Western University and played 26 games for the Mustangs. The Strathroy, Ontario native was a 2018 and 2019 OUA All-Star and played a key role in helping Western win the 2017 Vanier Cup. Giffen is a former member of Team Ontario and Team Canada.
Pellerin, 6-5 and 225 pounds, was a four-year player at the University of Waterloo (2016-2019) where he was a First Team OUA All-Star in 2019 after rushing for over 1,000 yards and 12 touchdowns and hauling in 14 passes for 131 yards and one receiving touchdown. The Abbotsford, Alberta native compiled 2,509 yards on the ground and 20 rushing touchdowns in 33 career games for the Warriors.
Baker, 6-3 and 210-pounds, spent four seasons at the University of Saskatchewan (2016-2019). The Esterhazy, Saskatchewan native hauled in 70 passes for 980 yards and 12 touchdowns in his Huskies career.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 1, 2020
- LaChance Released - Edmonton Eskimos
- Blue Bombers Honour Frontline Workers with #HeroesForTheW Selections - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- RedBlacks Add 8 Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Blue Bombers 2020 Draft Recap - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Stamps Select Nine Players in CFL Draft - Calgary Stampeders
- Riders Select Seven Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Lions Make Early Trade Splash; Select Seven in CFL Draft - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Select Nine Players in 2020 CFL Draft - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Alouettes Select Five Players from the RSEQ - Montreal Alouettes
- Toronto Argonauts Unveil 2020 Draft Class - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Toronto Argonauts Stories
- MLSE Community Food Donation Program Expands to Include BMO Field and BMO as Partners Team up to Help 'Bring Toronto Back to Its Feet'
- Argos Acquire Draft Rights to K Niko Difonte
- Toronto Argonauts Unveil 2020 Draft Class
- MLSE Teams up with Partners to Announce Bringing Toronto Back to Its Feet
- Argos Sign American DL Julian McCleod