Riders Select Seven Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft
The Saskatchewan Roughriders have selected seven talented football players in the 2020 CFL Draft:
- Mattland Riley (OL - University of Saskatchewan) - first round, seventh overall
- Kian Schaffer-Baker (WR - Guelph) - fourth round, 30th overall
- A.J. Allen (LB - Guelph) - fourth round, 35th overall
- Vincent Dethier (DB - McGill) - fifth round, 44th overall
- Jonathan Femi-Cole (RB - Western) - sixth round, 53rd overall
- Jesse Lawson (OL - Carleton) - seventh round, 62nd overall
- Neville Gallimore (DL - Oklahoma) - eighth round, 71st overall
Riley (6'3 - 300lbs) spent four seasons at the University of Saskatchewan playing in 31 games for the Huskies, spending his final season at left guard. The Melfort product had an impressive collegiate career that included being named a two-time Canada West All-Star and a U SPORTS first-team all-Canadian. He also played for the West Team in the U SPORTS East-West Bowl in 2018.
In 2017, Riley helped the Huskies win the Hardy Cup bringing it back to the University of Saskatchewan for the first time in 10 years.
Schaffer-Baker (6'4 - 195lbs) spent four collegiate seasons at the University of Guelph. The Mississauga native played in 28 games recording 95 receptions for 1,544 yards and eight touchdowns. He impressed at the 2019 East-West Bowl where he led all receivers with five catches for 126 yards and a touchdown.
Allen (6'1 - 210lbs) finished his fourth year of eligibility at Guelph University this year playing in 31 games at defensive lineman. The Burlington native made 63.5 tackles, five and a half sacks,12 tackles for loss, one forced fumble and three fumble recoveries.
Dethier (5'11 - 196lbs) completed his fourth year as a defensive back for McGill University. The 24-year-old recorded 104.5 tackles, 10 tackles for loss, four quarterback sacks, four interceptions, eight knockdowns, six fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles in 34 games played.
Femi-Cole (5'10 - 218lbs) finished his first season at Western University. The Ontario native played in eight games for the Mustangs recording 40 carries for 174 yards and five touchdowns while adding four tackles. Prior to playing at Western, Femi-Cole attended the University of Minnesota where he played in 13 games, making one reception for 13 yards and 15 carries for 67 yards.
Lawson (6'6 - 285lbs) spent two years with the Carleton Ravens playing in nine games as an offensive lineman. Prior to attending Carleton, the BC native spent time with the Langley Rams and the White Rock Titans of the Canadian Junior Football League.
Gallimore (6'2 - 330lbs) was drafted in the third round, 82nd overall, by the NFL's Dallas Cowboys in the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ottawa native spent four collegiate seasons at the University of Oklahoma playing in 46 games and recording 147 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, eight and a half sacks, two pass deflections and five forced fumbles.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 1, 2020
- LaChance Released - Edmonton Eskimos
- Blue Bombers Honour Frontline Workers with #HeroesForTheW Selections - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- RedBlacks Add 8 Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Blue Bombers 2020 Draft Recap - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Stamps Select Nine Players in CFL Draft - Calgary Stampeders
- Riders Select Seven Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Lions Make Early Trade Splash; Select Seven in CFL Draft - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Select Nine Players in 2020 CFL Draft - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Alouettes Select Five Players from the RSEQ - Montreal Alouettes
- Toronto Argonauts Unveil 2020 Draft Class - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.