RedBlacks Add 8 Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft
OTTAWA - The Ottawa REDBLACKS welcomed eight new players into the organization in Thursday's 2020 CFL Draft.
The REDBLACKS started the night off by selecting Laval defensive back/linebacker Adam Auclair with their first-round pick, sixth-overall selection.
"A lot of hard work by a lot of people went into tonight's draft," said General Manager Marcel Desjardins. "A big thanks to the personnel, coaching and video staff for their contributions in helping us select these quality young men who will have a chance to contribute to the REDBLACKS roster and the community of Ottawa/Gatineau for years to come."
Here is a recap of the REDBLACKS' 2020 draft:
Round 1, 6th overall
Adam Auclair, DB, Laval
The 6-foot-2, 205-pound had a big season for the Rouge et Or last year. He was named the 2017 Presidents' Trophy winner as U SPORTS Outstanding Defensive Player. He was also awarded the Bruce Coulter Award, as the defensive player of the game after the 2018 Vanier Cup final.
Round 2, 10th overall
Michael Hoecht, DL, Brown
The 6-foot-4, 310-pound defensive lineman made a name for himself at Brown University. The Ohio native finished his university career with 174 defensive tackles in 37 games played in the Ivy League Conference.
Round 2, 19th overall
Dan Basambombo, LB, Laval
The 6-foot-1, 232-pound from Congo played eight games in 2018 for Laval, while recording a total of 31.5 tackles and two sacks.
Round 4, 29th overall
Jakub Szott, OL, McMaster
The 6-foot-5, 314-pound Toronto native was a mainstay on the offensive line during his four seasons with McMaster.
Round 5, 38th overall
Terrance Abrahams-Webster, DB, Calgary
The 5-foot-11, 185-pound Pickering native played in eight games for the Dinos in 2019. During his university career, Abrahams-Webster has recorded a total of 49,5 tackles in 28 games.
Round 6, 47th overall
Brad Cowan, LB, Wilfrid Laurier
The 6-foot-3, 228-pound Cowan had a total of 28.5 tackles in eight games for Wilfrid Laurier last season.
Round 7, 56th overall
Reshaan Davis, DE, Ottawa
The 6-foot-3, 250-pound Oshawa native played eight games for the Gee-Gees in 2019, while recording 32.5 tackles and seven sacks.
Round 8, 65th overall
Ketel Asse, OL, Laval
The 6-foot-6, 318-pound offensive lineman was named on the 2019 RSEQ All-Star Team and on the 2019 U SPORTS Offensive All-Star Team.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from May 1, 2020
- LaChance Released - Edmonton Eskimos
- Blue Bombers Honour Frontline Workers with #HeroesForTheW Selections - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- RedBlacks Add 8 Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Blue Bombers 2020 Draft Recap - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
- Stamps Select Nine Players in CFL Draft - Calgary Stampeders
- Riders Select Seven Prospects in 2020 CFL Draft - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Lions Make Early Trade Splash; Select Seven in CFL Draft - B.C. Lions
- Tiger-Cats Select Nine Players in 2020 CFL Draft - Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Alouettes Select Five Players from the RSEQ - Montreal Alouettes
- Toronto Argonauts Unveil 2020 Draft Class - Toronto Argonauts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.