Tom Penn Named Los Angeles Sports Council's 2018 Sports Executive of the Year
The Los Angeles Sports Council today announced that Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) President & Co-Owner Tom Penn has been selected 2018 Sports Executive of the Year. Penn will be honored at the 14th Annual LA Sports Awards, to be held on Monday, March 25 at The Beverly Hilton.
"I am truly honored to receive this prestigious award, and I do so on behalf of our dedicated and talented employees who do the work every day," said Penn. "Building LAFC and Banc of California Stadium has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life and I'm extremely proud of what the Club has accomplished over the past year. We are grateful to be recognized within the L.A. sports landscape as we continue to unite the world's city through the world's game."
Penn helped guide L.A.'s newest MLS Club to monumental success both on and off the field. Making history in their inaugural season, the Club sold out all 17 of its MLS home matches and set an all-time MLS record in points (57) for an expansion team while finishing the season in third place in the Western Conference with a 16-9-9 record and qualifying for the Playoffs.
In addition to the launching the Club, Penn was integral in the design, build and completion of LAFC's $350 million dollar home in the Heart of Los Angeles, Banc of California Stadium. The world class, 22,000-seat stadium is the first open-air stadium built in the City of Los Angeles since 1962 - and it opened to wide acclaim as one of the country's premier outdoor venues.
Under Penn, LAFC and Banc of California Stadium became a true destination in L.A. for fans, families and casual bystanders, as nearly 453,000 fans attended LAFC matches in the first season.
A sports industry veteran with over 16 years of experience, Penn joined LAFC after five years as an ESPN basketball analyst, with regular appearances on SportsCenter and other ESPN programs. He is the Co-Founder and President of the Sports Leadership Institute, an organization that creates private meetings and programs for sports team owners, sports executives and college AD's and retired athletes.
Prior to joining ESPN in 2010, Penn spent four seasons as Vice President of Basketball Operations and Assistant General Manager of the Portland Trail Blazers. From 2000 - 2007, Penn served as Assistant General Manager and legal counsel of the Memphis Grizzlies, where he worked closely with legendary NBA executive Jerry West in team related matters.
The LA Sports Awards are presented annually by the Sports Council to celebrate the year in sports in the Los Angeles/Orange County area. The ceremony also will feature the presentation of the Sportsman, Sportswoman, and Coach of the Year, and a countdown of 2018's Top Ten moments. The awards banquet will be televised on Fox Sports West/Prime Ticket (air dates TBA).
Previous Sports Executive of the Year award honorees include Casey Wasserman, Stan Kasten and Arte Moreno.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Five SuperDraft Selections in Trade with Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Philadelphia Union
- Tom Penn Named Los Angeles Sports Council's 2018 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Names Marco Ferruzzi Director of Soccer Operations - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Foundation to Host 2019 Season Kickoff Gala Presented by Magellan Corporation on February 26 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Announce Technical Staff Additions - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs MF Luke Mulholland - Real Salt Lake
- FC Cincinnati Acquires General Allocation Money, SuperDraft Selection in Trade with LAFC - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Expands Competitive Gaming Roster with Signing of Enrique Espinoza - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Signs Goalkeeper Brendan Moore - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires 2019 MLS SuperDraft Selection from FC Cincinnati - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Announces 2019 Coaching Staff - FC Dallas
- Mark Geiger Named Professional Referee Organization Director of Senior Match Officials - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Defender Raymon Gaddis - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Foundation Partners with the American Heart Association's 'Teaching Gardens' Nutrition Program
- LAFC Forward Carlos Vela Named 2019 Landon Donovan MLS MVP
- LAFC and Kaiser Permanente Celebrate Initiative to Refurbish Futsal Courts Across Los Angeles
- LAFC Eliminated from Playoffs After Falling 3-1 to Seattle Sounders FC
- LAFC Fans Encouraged to Bring Donations for Firefighters and Victims of Los Angeles Wildfires