Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union announced today that the club has acquired up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati in exchange for five selections in Friday's 2019 MLS SuperDraft (picks number 13, 29, 37, 61 and 85).
"When evaluating how we want to build our roster for the 2019 season and beyond, we decided that acquiring this money is the best use of our SuperDraft resources," said Ernst Tanner, Union Sporting Director. "Not only will we look to continue both signing Union Academy products for the First Team and Bethlehem Steel FC, as well as attracting young talent from abroad, we believe that this sum of money will help us complete crucial signings ahead of the upcoming campaign."
Tanner will be available via conference call at 9:30 p.m. ET today to discuss today's transaction. Members of the media may join the call by dialing 800-582-3014 and entering the code 17252609, followed by the pound sign (#) for access to the call. Please remember to mute your line for the duration of the call, unless asking a question. Ryan Schwepfinger of Philadelphia Union Communications will moderate. Timing and availability are subject to change.
Specifics of the trade are as follows: in exchange for the draft choices, the Union receive a guaranteed $150,000 in 2019 General Allocation Money and an extra $50,000 in conditional 2020 General Allocation Money pending certain performance metrics being met by players chosen by Cincinnati in the SuperDraft.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union receive up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati in exchange for five selections in the 2019 MLS SuperDraft (picks 13, 29, 37, 61 and 85) on January 9, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Five SuperDraft Selections in Trade with Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Philadelphia Union
- Tom Penn Named Los Angeles Sports Council's 2018 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Names Marco Ferruzzi Director of Soccer Operations - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Foundation to Host 2019 Season Kickoff Gala Presented by Magellan Corporation on February 26 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Announce Technical Staff Additions - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs MF Luke Mulholland - Real Salt Lake
- FC Cincinnati Acquires General Allocation Money, SuperDraft Selection in Trade with LAFC - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Expands Competitive Gaming Roster with Signing of Enrique Espinoza - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Signs Goalkeeper Brendan Moore - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires 2019 MLS SuperDraft Selection from FC Cincinnati - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Announces 2019 Coaching Staff - FC Dallas
- Mark Geiger Named Professional Referee Organization Director of Senior Match Officials - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Defender Raymon Gaddis - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- First-place Union remain unbeaten in their last six games after draw in front of sellout Talen Energy Stadium crowd
- Union win on the road in Toronto for the first time since 2014
- Union's Mark McKenzie, Matt Real Called up by United States Under-20 National Team Ahead of 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup
- Philadelphia Union Receive $175,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Michee Ngalina