Real Salt Lake Re-Signs MF Luke Mulholland
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake has re-signed veteran MF Luke Mulholland ahead of the 2019 season, General Manager Craig Waibel announced today. Mulholland's return will mark his sixth season as a member of the club.
"Luke has been an important part of our locker room for the last five years. He is a veteran presence on the field that can play in multiple roles, which is important to us," Waibel said. "He not only is a valuable player on the field and in the locker room, but really represents the club well in the community and we're glad to have him back."
Originally acquired by RSL prior to the 2014 season after a wildly successful stint with the Tampa Bay Rowdies of the former NASL, the determined midfielder has spent his entire Major League Soccer career as a member of RSL. Since 2014, Mulholland has appeared in 122 matches, 97 of which were starts. Mulholland has notched 16 goals and 16 assists through 8,384 regular season minutes during his time with RSL. The Preston, England native has also seen time in the MLS Cup Playoffs in three of his five seasons at RSL, totaling 346 minutes in five postseason appearances. Hampered by injury in 2018, Mulholland featured in just four matches, two of which were playoff appearances.
"Last year was a difficult season for me because I've never missed a game because of injury. Dealing with that adversity made it the toughest season of my career, but I'm happy with my health right now and I'm delighted to stay with Real Salt Lake," Mulholland said. "I feel like I have unfinished business and the best is yet to come for Luke Mulholland and I'm really excited to give my best for the fans in Utah."
RSL finished sixth in the Western Conference in 2018 and ousted LAFC in the Knockout Round of the MLS Cup Playoffs before falling in the Western Conference Semifinals to Sporting Kansas City. It was the second playoff appearance in the last three years and tenth in the last 12 seasons for RSL after missing the postseason by one point in 2017.
"I am happy that we were able to re-sign Luke," RSL Head Coach Mike Petke said. "After coming back from a devastating injury, I am looking forward to having him healthy in the preseason."
Real Salt Lake opens the 2019 MLS regular season on March 2 on the road against the Houston Dynamo before returning for the home opener on March 9 against Vancouver Whitecaps FC. 2019 Real Salt Lake season tickets are available now at RSL.com/Tickets or by calling 844-REAL-TIX (844-732-5849).
Transaction: RSL re-signs MF Luke Mulholland on January 8, 2019.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Five SuperDraft Selections in Trade with Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Philadelphia Union
- Tom Penn Named Los Angeles Sports Council's 2018 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Names Marco Ferruzzi Director of Soccer Operations - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Foundation to Host 2019 Season Kickoff Gala Presented by Magellan Corporation on February 26 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Announce Technical Staff Additions - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs MF Luke Mulholland - Real Salt Lake
- FC Cincinnati Acquires General Allocation Money, SuperDraft Selection in Trade with LAFC - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Expands Competitive Gaming Roster with Signing of Enrique Espinoza - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Signs Goalkeeper Brendan Moore - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires 2019 MLS SuperDraft Selection from FC Cincinnati - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Announces 2019 Coaching Staff - FC Dallas
- Mark Geiger Named Professional Referee Organization Director of Senior Match Officials - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Defender Raymon Gaddis - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Ousts FC Cincinnati 3-0
- Real Salt Lake Faces Expansion Side FC Cincinnati Friday at Nippert Stadium
- This Week at Real Salt Lake
- Real Salt Lake Claims 2-1 Win over Orlando City SC
- Real Salt Lake Returns to Rio Tinto Stadium Saturday to Host Orlando City SC