LA Galaxy Announce Technical Staff Additions
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today that Guillermo Barros Schelotto has hired Gustavo Barros Schelotto, Ariel Pereyra and Dominic Kinnear as assistant coaches. Javier Valdecantos will join the club as a fitness coach. Gustavo, Pereyra and Valdecantos join Guillermo from Boca Juniors, where they won two Argentine Primera División championships together. Former LA Galaxy Assistant Coach Junior Gonzalez will remain with the club as a scout.
Gustavo, 45, served his twin brother as an assistant at both Lanús and Boca Juniors during Guillermo's stints at each club. Gustavo enjoyed a 16-year career as a professional, playing alongside his brother for Argentine clubs Club de Gimnasia y Esgrima La Plata and Boca Juniors. His professional career included other Argentine Primera División teams (Unión Santa Fe, Racing Club, Rosario Central) as well as stops in Spain (Villarreal), Peru (Alianza Lima) and Puerto Rico (Puerto Rico Islanders).
Pereyra, 45, was born in Berazategui, Argentina and played alongside Guillermo and Gustavo at their boyhood club Gimnasia. Pereyra retired from the professional ranks in 2008 to join Gimnasia as a youth coach. He later joined Guillermo's staff at Lanús, moving with him to Boca in 2016.
Dominic Kinnear will return as LA Galaxy Assistant Coach after finishing the 2018 campaign as LA Galaxy Interim Manager. In the last six matches of the season under his leadership, the Galaxy went 4-1-1. Kinnear originally joined the LA Galaxy as an assistant in Aug. 2017. As an MLS manager, Kinnear is 169-137-135 all-time.
Schelotto will bring Valdecantos on as a physical trainer. Valdecantos, 60, was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina and joined Schelotto's staff at Boca Juniors when he was hired in 2016. Valdecantos has worked for professional clubs in Argentina, Spain, Paraguay, Uruguay and Mexico.
Former Director of Player Personnel and Scouting Kurt Schmid has left the club to join Inter Miami CF. Former LA Galaxy Director of Sports Performance Pierre Barrieu and Assistant Coach Ezra Hendrickson are no longer with the club.
Schelotto and his staff's first season as LA Galaxy Head Coach will begin with the 2019 Home Opener, when the Galaxy host Chicago Fire on Saturday, March 2 at 5 p.m. PT. Tickets to that match are on sale now, available here.
The LA Galaxy will kick off the 2019 MLS preseason in February, hosting three MLS sides during three consecutive Saturdays in February 2019. The Galaxy will begin first against Toronto FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Feb. 9, followed by Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Feb. 16 at Orange County Great Park and finishing with the Colorado Rapids on Feb. 23 at Dignity Health Sports Park.
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2019 Major League Soccer season are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2019 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 9, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Acquires Five SuperDraft Selections in Trade with Philadelphia Union - FC Cincinnati
- Philadelphia Union Acquire up to $200,000 in General Allocation Money from FC Cincinnati - Philadelphia Union
- Tom Penn Named Los Angeles Sports Council's 2018 Sports Executive of the Year - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Names Marco Ferruzzi Director of Soccer Operations - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire Foundation to Host 2019 Season Kickoff Gala Presented by Magellan Corporation on February 26 - Chicago Fire
- LA Galaxy Announce Technical Staff Additions - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Re-Signs MF Luke Mulholland - Real Salt Lake
- FC Cincinnati Acquires General Allocation Money, SuperDraft Selection in Trade with LAFC - FC Cincinnati
- Chicago Fire Expands Competitive Gaming Roster with Signing of Enrique Espinoza - Chicago Fire
- Atlanta United Signs Goalkeeper Brendan Moore - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC Acquires 2019 MLS SuperDraft Selection from FC Cincinnati - Los Angeles FC
- FC Dallas Head Coach Luchi Gonzalez Announces 2019 Coaching Staff - FC Dallas
- Mark Geiger Named Professional Referee Organization Director of Senior Match Officials - MLS
- Philadelphia Union Re-Sign Defender Raymon Gaddis - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy to face Orlando City SC this weekend on UniMas
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Colorado Rapids 1 - Sunday, May 19, 2019
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Suspended Two Games
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, NYCFC 2 - Saturday, May 11, 2019
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Columbus Crew SC 3 - Wednesday, May 8, 2019