TinCaps Split Doubleheader in Bowling Green
BOWLING GREEN, Ky. - The TinCaps split a doubleheader with the Bowling Green Hot Rods (Tampa Bay Rays affiliate) at Bowling Green Ballpark on Sunday afternoon. Fort Wayne won the first game, which was the continuation of a game suspended by rain on Saturday night, 6-0, while Bowling Green claimed the series finale, 4-3, in eight innings (the game was scheduled for seven innings).
Game 1 picked up with two outs in the top of the fourth inning and the 'Caps on top, 3-0, after designated hitter Michael Curry crushed a three-run homer last night just before the game was halted. The TinCaps added to their lead in the fifth as catcher Blake Hunt delivered a two-out, two-run single to make it 5-0. Hunt and shortstop Xavier Edwards both had three hits in the game. Fort Wayne tacked on one more in the ninth with right fielder Agustin Ruiz coming through with a two-out RBI hit of his own.
Gabe Mosser started the contest last night with three scoreless innings. Lefty reliever Hazahel Quijada "started" the fourth today. Unfortunately, Quijada exited after facing only two batters due to elbow discomfort. Righty Henry Henry followed and tossed 4 2/3 scoreless innings. Right-hander Jose Quezada put the finishing touches on the shutout with a blemish-less ninth. TinCaps pitchers have thrown two shutouts now this season.
The 'Caps grabbed a lead in Game 2, though it didn't hold up. In the third inning, center fielder Jawuan Harris doubled and advanced to third base on an errant pickoff attempt by Rays pitching prospect Shane McClanahan. Edwards plated Harris with a sacrifice fly.
Bowling Green tied the game with an unearned run in the fifth and moved in front with another run in the sixth.
Fort Wayne was down to its final out in the top of the seventh inning when Harris homered to left-center field, leveling the score at 2-2. Harris was 3-for-3, a triple shy of the cycle.
The game went to "extra innings." While the 'Caps cashed in on their chance to start the eighth with a runner at second base, thanks to a Hot Rods error, the TinCaps returned the favor with an error in the bottom of the eighth. With the game tied, 3-3, and the bases full, Bowling Green first baseman Kaleo Johnson knocked a game-winning hit to left field to produce the 4-3 final.
Ramon Perez started Game 2 and held BG to a single earned run. The 19-year-old southpaw from Cuba struck out four and walked one while scattering four hits.
The TinCaps are now 7-4. The Hot Rods are 5-6.
Monday, April 15 @ Dayton (7 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Angel Acevedo
- Dragons Probable Starter: LHP Jacob Heatherly
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 14, 2019
- Bees Fall Short to Cedar Rapids, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Split Doubleheader in Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Walk off in Extras to Split Doubleheader - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Outhit Bees, Fall in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sunday's Captains at Dragons Game Suspended - Lake County Captains
- Dragons and Captains Suspended by Rain on Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Stops Quad Cities 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Win Streak Snapped in 6-3 Loss at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 14 at Bowling Green (Games 10 & 11) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Inclement Weather Washes out Lugnuts/Cubs Finale - Lansing Lugnuts
- Postponed In Beloit - Clinton LumberKings
- Joe Cronin promoted to Pensacola - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Today's Game Postponed Due to Weather - Beloit Snappers
- Series Finale Postponed in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Whitecaps-Loons Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 25 at South Bend (Game 20)
- TinCaps Seek Nominees for Military Salutes in 2019
- Hunt Homers, But Fort Wayne Drops the Series Finale
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 24 vs. Bowling Green (Game 19)
- TinCaps Continue Military Appreciation Night in 2019