TinCaps Game Notes: April 14 at Bowling Green (Games 10 & 11)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (6-3) @ Bowling Green Hot Rods (4-5)
Continuation of Suspended Game: LHP Hazahel Quijada vs. LHP LHP Trey Cumbie
"Game 2": LHP Ramon Perez vs. LHP Shane McClanahan
Sunday, April 14 - Bowling Green Ballpark (Bowling Green, KY) - 1:30 PM (Games 10 & 11 / 140)
LISTEN: John Nolan (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
SATURDAY NIGHT: The TinCaps were leading the Hot Rods, 3-0, with 2 outs in the top of the 4th inning when their game in Bowling Green was suspended by rain. In his 'Caps debut, Michael Curry launched a 3-run homer. After he crossed home, the game was halted.
SUNDAY SCHEDULE: The suspended game will be picked up where it left off and be scheduled to go 9 innings. Then, following a 30-minute intermission, "Game 2" will commence and be scheduled for 7 innings, per the rules of Minor League Baseball.
GREAT START: At 6-3, the TinCaps started Saturday tied for the best record in the MWL with Lake County (East), Burlington (West), and Kane County (West). The 'Caps last started a season 6-3 in 2016. The best start in franchise history came in 2009 when the TinCaps began the year 10-0.
200: Anthony Contreras, who's in his 4th season as the team's skipper, won his 200th game as TinCaps manager on Thursday. The franchise leader in that category is Doug Dascenzo (227, 2007-09). "AC" ranks 3rd behind Randy Ready (209, 2004-206).
260 TO THE SHOW: On Friday, for the 2nd night in a row, a recent TinCaps pitcher made his MLB debut for the 1st-place Padres. After 2017 TinCaps pitcher Pedro Avila started for San Diego in Arizona on Thursday, Gerardo Reyes pitched in relief there on Friday night. Reyes, 25, appeared in 18 games for the 'Caps in 2016 with a 2.10 ERA. He retired both Diamondbacks he faced in his debut, which included a strikeout of Adam Jones. Reyes became the 177th former Fort Wayne player to reach the big leagues since the franchise was founded in 1993. 5 'Caps alums have broken through this year with SS Fernando Tatis Jr., RHP Chris Paddack, and LHP Nick Margevicius appearing in the season's opening week. 13 of the 25 Padres on their active roster have appeared in at least 1 game with the 'Caps.
LEAGUE LEADERS: Entering Saturday, the TinCaps led the MWL in Runs (51). Friday night was Fort Wayne's lowest offensive output of the season with 2 runs on 4 hits.
INDIVIDUAL LEAGUE LEADERS: Infielder Xavier Edwards is tied for 2nd in Runs (8), 3rd in Stolen Bases (4) & 10th in Hits (10)... Outfielder Agustin Ruiz is tied for 3rd in RBIs (7), 4th in Doubles (4), 5th in Hits (12), 5th in Batting Average (.387), & 7th in Runs (7)... Catcher Blake Hunt is tied for 7th in RBIs (6) & 4th in Doubles (4)... Outfielder Dwanya Williams-Sutton is tied for the league lead in runs (9) & 7th in Walks (7)... Infielder Luis Almanzar is 2nd in RBIs (11) & tied for 3rd in Home Runs (2)... Outfielder Jawuan Harris is tied for 9th in Stolen Bases (3)... Catcher Nick Gatewood is tied for 10th in Doubles (3)... Outfielder Grant Little is tied for 5th in Hits (12), 9th in Stolen Bases (3) & 9th in Batting Average (.375)... Lefty Ryan Weathers is 2nd in Strikeouts (17), lefty Joey Cantillo is 4th (14), and lefty Efraín Contreras is tied for 6th (12).
FOREVER YOUNG: The average age for a TinCaps position player thus far has been 20.1, the youngest in the Midwest League (MWL average: 21.2). The average age for a 'Caps pitcher is 20.8, also the youngest (MWL average: 21.8). Fort Wayne has had the most youthful lineup in the circuit each of the previous 5 years going back to 2014. The TinCaps had the youngest pitching staff in the league in 2016 and ranked tied for 2nd youngest in '18, 2nd youngest in '17, '13, and '12.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 14, 2019
- Bees Fall Short to Cedar Rapids, 2-1 - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Split Doubleheader in Bowling Green - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Hot Rods Walk off in Extras to Split Doubleheader - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kernels Outhit Bees, Fall in Finale - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Sunday's Captains at Dragons Game Suspended - Lake County Captains
- Dragons and Captains Suspended by Rain on Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Wisconsin Stops Quad Cities 6-3 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Win Streak Snapped in 6-3 Loss at Wisconsin - Quad Cities River Bandits
- TinCaps Game Notes: April 14 at Bowling Green (Games 10 & 11) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Inclement Weather Washes out Lugnuts/Cubs Finale - Lansing Lugnuts
- Postponed In Beloit - Clinton LumberKings
- Joe Cronin promoted to Pensacola - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Today's Game Postponed Due to Weather - Beloit Snappers
- Series Finale Postponed in West Michigan - Great Lakes Loons
- Whitecaps-Loons Postponed - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps to Enhance Parkview Field Experience in 2020
- Former Fort Wayne Players in 2019 MLB Postseason
- 57 Former Fort Wayne Players in Major Leagues in 2019
- Fort Wayne Nominated for Minor League Baseball's Patriot Award
- Fort Wayne Ranks No. 6 Among Minor League Markets