TinCaps Hit Road with No Rust, Win 8-4
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa - The TinCaps opened their six-game road trip with an 8-4 win over the Cedar Rapids Kernels (Minnesota Twins) on a warm Wednesday night at Perfect Game Field.
Despite a 6 a.m. bus departure in the morning, Fort Wayne (12-8, 44-45) was ready from the get-go. The 'Caps put up a pair of runs in the top of the first inning, which included an RBI single for catcher Luis Campusano and an RBI groundout for DH Esteury Ruiz. Fort Wayne added to its lead with a Kelvin Melean run-scoring single in the second and right fielder Tirso Ornelas scoring on a wild pitch in the third. Third baseman Luis Almanzar delivered a two-run homer in the fourth, and two unearned runs came across in the sixth to emphatically make it 8-0.
On the mound, 18-year-old Luis Patiño worked five scoreless innings. With his fastball reaching 97 miles per hour, the native of Colombia scattered three singles and two walks, while striking out five.
The Kernels (13-7, 45-44) scored all of their runs in the seventh.
Fort Wayne held an 11-10 advantage in hits. Melean, who played second base, led the way with a three-hit performance that included a double. Shortstop Gabriel Arias added a pair himself, with a double as well.
In relief, Evan Miller contributed 1 1/3 scoreless innings and Travis Radke put up a zero in the ninth in a non-save situation.
The TinCaps scored all of their runs against left-hander Taylor Watson. Righty Edwar Colina was effective for Cedar Rapids with 3 1/3 innings out of the bullpen.
Thursday, July 12 @ Cedar Rapids (7:35 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: RHP Mason Thompson
- Kernels Probable Starter: RHP Bailey Ober
Listen: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn
Watch: MiLB.TV (subscription)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 11, 2018
- Loons top LumberKings 1-0 in 10 innings - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Hit Road with No Rust, Win 8-4 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Stay Hot, Defeat Cubs 9-3 for Seventh Straight - Beloit Snappers
- Two Big Innings Lead Snappers to 10-3 Win over Cubs - South Bend Cubs
- Shutout Start to Western Division Road Trip - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Power Past Chiefs 5-1 - Peoria Chiefs
- Gunter, Lugnuts Deal Bees 6-2 Defeat - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bandits Hold Dragons to Three Hits in 3-2 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Lewis, Miranda Go Back to Back in Opener - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- River Bandits Edge Dragons in Wednesday Pitcher's Duel - Dayton Dragons
- Whitecaps Take Timber Rattlers 3-2 in 10 innings - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Hot Rods Drop Game One 9-2 against Kane County - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Two Eighth Inning Homers Give River Bandits Win over Bees - Burlington Bees
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 11 at Cedar Rapids (Game 89) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Gabriel GarcÃa Selected as Timber Rattlers Fans' Choice Bobblehead for the 2018 Season - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Dragons Notes for Wednesday - Dayton Dragons
- LHP Jovani Moran to Fort Myers - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps to Hold National Anthem Auditions for 2019 Season
- TinCaps & Parkview Field Set to Host 6th Annual Parkview Sports Medicine High School Baseball Series
- Nine Recent TinCaps Ranked Among MLB's Top 100 Prospects
- Job Fair at Parkview Field
- 2019 Promotional Schedule Released