Timbers Weekly Update: September 17, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - Facing a quick turnaround, the Portland Timbers play host to the New York Red Bulls, in a match presented by Oregon Lottery, on Wednesday, Sept. 18, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX). The Timbers will then square off against Minnesota United FC, in a match presented by Frost Brewed Coors Light, on Sunday, Sept. 22. Beginning at 1 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a national television broadcast on ESPN. Both the Sept. 18 and Sept. 22 matches will have local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
The Timbers (13-12-4, 43pts) currently sit in playoff position with five matches remaining on their regular-season schedule. Portland will play four of its five remaining matches at Providence Park, with games against Western Conference sides Minnesota United FC (Sept. 22) and the San Jose Earthquakes (Oct. 6) at home, and an away match against Sporting Kansas City on Sept. 29. Currently, just six points separate eighth place (43pts) and second place (49pts) in the Western Conference standings.
Against New York Red Bulls
Wednesday's match marks the 10th meeting all-time between the Timbers and the Red Bulls. Portland is 1-1-2 at home in the all-time series. The last time these two teams squared off at Providence Park, the Timbers recorded a 2-0 win on Aug. 18, 2017. The Red Bulls (12-13-5, 41pts) enter Wednesday's match having suffered three consecutive losses, including a 4-2 loss on the road at Seattle on Sept. 15. Individually, the Red Bulls are led by Daniel Royer and Brian White, who each have scored nine goals this season, while Royer has also added a team-best eight assists.
Against Minnesota United FC
Portland and Minnesota square off for the third time in all competitions this season on Sunday at Providence Park. Sunday's match is the sixth meeting between the two teams in MLS play. The Timbers are 2-0-0 in home matches against Minnesota, holding an 8-3 advantage in goals scored across the two matches. Portland registered a 3-2 win the last time these two teams met at Providence Park on April 14, 2018. Minnesota (14-10-6, 48pts) visits Portland having won two of its last three matches, including a 3-1 win at home over Real Salt Lake on Sept. 15, with two goals from the team's leading goal-scorer, Darwin Quintero (10 goals).
The Timbers play host to the New England Revolution on Wednesday, Sept. 25, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific) the match features a television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers forward Jeremy Ebobisse. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 750 The Game or listen online at www.750thegame.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: September 17, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Know Your Opponent | Houston Dynamo - Orlando City SC
- Impact to Play First Leg of Canadian Championship Final Wednesday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Statement Regarding Mike Petke Lawsuit - Real Salt Lake
- #SEAvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Announce Partnership with EVERFI to Inspire D.C. Students' Interest in STEM Careers - D.C. United
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces EMLS 24 Hours of FIFA 20 Live Stream as Part of 6th Annual MLS WORKS Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - MLS
- Match Preview: New York Concludes West Coast Trip at Portland - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Sign Yamil Asad to a Contract Beginning in 2020 Season - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Foundation, Frisco ISD and the National Soccer Hall of Fame Launch STEAM FC Program - FC Dallas
- Ryan Hollingshead Re-Signs with FC Dallas - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC to Break Ground for New Stadium on October 10 in Open-To-The-Public Ceremony - Columbus Crew SC
- BODYARMOR to Become Official Sports Drink of Major League Soccer in 2020 - MLS
- Vela, Ibrahimovic and MartÃnez Racing Toward Record-Breaking Golden Boot Finish - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers 2019 Campaign Comes to An End in First Round of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Timbers Weekly Update: October 17, 2019
- Timbers, Thorns FC Name Collin Romer Vice President of Communications
- Paredes, Zambrano Called up for International Matches
- Timbers Clinch Berth in Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs with 3-1 Win over San Jose Earthquakes