Match Preview: New York Concludes West Coast Trip at Portland
HARRISON, N.J. - The New York Red Bulls (12-13-5, 41 pts) wrap up their two-game West Coast trip on Wednesday against the Portland Timbers (13-12-4, 43 pts) at Providence Park. Kickoff is set for 10:30 p.m. EST with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 9:30 p.m. EST with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon. Ernesto Motta will carry the Spanish play-by-play responsibilities, beginning at 10 p.m. EST.
New York will face Portland for just the 10th time in a league match and fifth in Portland. The Red Bulls have shown success when visiting Portland as they have picked up at least a point in three of the previous four matches. The last time these two teams met at Providence Park, the Red Bulls used a heavily rotated lineup that ended in a 2-0 loss on August 18, 2017.
New York will look to bounce back from Sunday's 4-2 loss at Seattle. The Red Bulls own a 5-3-3 mark in league play following a loss with a plus-four goal differential (19 GF, 13 GA). New York has responded with multi-goal performances in six of the 11 matches following a loss. The Red Bulls recorded just their third three-match or more league losing streak since 2006 following their loss to the Sounders.
Bradley Wright-Phillips, who owns a franchise-best 108 league goals, recorded his 27th career MLS assist on Sunday. Wright-Phillips moved into a tie with Dax McCarty for fifth all-time in franchise history. He has tallied at least three assists or more in four of his seven seasons with New York.
New York returns to the East Coast for back-to-back home matches, beginning with the Philadelphia Union on Sunday. Kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 17, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: September 17, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Know Your Opponent | Houston Dynamo - Orlando City SC
- Impact to Play First Leg of Canadian Championship Final Wednesday Night at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Statement Regarding Mike Petke Lawsuit - Real Salt Lake
- #SEAvFCD: 5 Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- D.C. United Announce Partnership with EVERFI to Inspire D.C. Students' Interest in STEM Careers - D.C. United
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati - Atlanta United FC
- MLS Announces EMLS 24 Hours of FIFA 20 Live Stream as Part of 6th Annual MLS WORKS Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - MLS
- Match Preview: New York Concludes West Coast Trip at Portland - New York Red Bulls
- D.C. United Sign Yamil Asad to a Contract Beginning in 2020 Season - D.C. United
- FC Dallas Foundation, Frisco ISD and the National Soccer Hall of Fame Launch STEAM FC Program - FC Dallas
- Ryan Hollingshead Re-Signs with FC Dallas - FC Dallas
- Columbus Crew SC to Break Ground for New Stadium on October 10 in Open-To-The-Public Ceremony - Columbus Crew SC
- BODYARMOR to Become Official Sports Drink of Major League Soccer in 2020 - MLS
- Vela, Ibrahimovic and MartÃnez Racing Toward Record-Breaking Golden Boot Finish - This Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- White's Late-Match Equalizer Secures Point from Orlando City
- New York and Orlando City Conclude Home-And-Home at RBA
- Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United Again, 1-0, in 2020
- New York Red Bulls Name Bernd Eibler Assistant Coach
- New York and Toronto FC Clash at Rentschler Field on Wednesday