Timbers Weekly Update: May 2, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers travel for a road match against Real Salt Lake on Saturday, May 4, at Rio Tinto Stadium in Sandy, Utah. Beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific), Saturday's match will feature a local television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland (2-5-1, 7pts) earned its second straight win on the road, recording a 2-1 victory against Toronto FC on April 27. It marked the first time the club has earned consecutive road wins since the 2015 season. The Timbers held Toronto to just six shots in the match, which is tied for the fewest shots allowed in a road match by Portland in nine MLS seasons. Bill Tuiloma scored his first goal of the campaign in the match, while Jeremy Ebobisse recorded the game-winner, his team-leading fourth goal of the season.
With an assist against Toronto FC, Sebastián Blanco has four assists in his last three matches, recording an assist in three straight matches for the first time in his MLS career. Diego Valeri recorded two assists in the match against Toronto to bring his season total to six assists, which ranks tied for the most assists in MLS this season.
Against Real Salt Lake
Saturday's match marks the 22nd meeting all-time in MLS regular-season play between Portland and Real Salt Lake (3-5-1, 10pts), with the series record even at 7-7-7. In the last 10 matches between the two clubs, the Timbers have posted a record of 5-2-3, and have earned at least a point in four of their last five trips (3-1-1) to Rio Tinto Stadium. Portland won both meetings during the 2018 season, including a 4-1 road win on Oct. 6, 2018, behind a brace from Blanco.
Extended road trip
The Timbers continue their extended road swing with their eighth match as part of their first 12 games on the road to begin the season. Portland's 12-game road trip to start the 2019 season is due to completion work on the $85 million transformation of Providence Park. During that stretch, the Timbers will travel roughly 30,000 miles, including trips to Cincinnati, Dallas, Columbus, Toronto, Houston and Philadelphia.
The Timbers travel to square off against Cascadia rival Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Friday, May 10, at BC Place. Beginning at 7 p.m. (Pacific), the May 10 match will feature a local television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 2, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 2, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Acquire Targeted Allocation Money from Minnesota United FC - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Acquires General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Recall Frankie Amaya from Orange County SC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Facts - AtlÃ©tico Madrid - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Host Cinco de Marco - Philadelphia Union
- New England Revolution Launch Under-12 Revolution Development League - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: New York Hosts LA Galaxy at Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- AtlÃ©tico De Madrid to Participate in the 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- Atletico De Madrid to Participate in the 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers to Host LA Galaxy in Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup Round of 16 on Wednesday, June 19
- Timbers Register 2-1 Win against Seattle Sounders FC in Fourth Round of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Timbers Weekly Update: June 11, 2019
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2019 Northwest Regional Emmy Award
- Marco Farfan, Eryk Williamson Called into U.S. U-23 National Team Camp