Match Preview: New York Hosts LA Galaxy at Red Bull Arena on Saturday
HARRISON, N.J. - Snapping a five-match winless streak, the New York Red Bulls (2-4-2, 8 pts) continue their three-match homestand against LA Galaxy (7-1-1, 22 pts) on Saturday at Red Bull Arena. Opening kick is slated for 2 p.m. ET with coverage on ESPN, ESPN+ and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls Radio begins at 1 p.m. ET with Countdown to Kickoff, presented by Honda, hosted by Matt Harmon and Steve Jolley. Ernesto Motta will have the Spanish play-by-play, beginning at 1:30 p.m.
New York and the Galaxy will square for the 45th time in league play and 24th time in New York. The Red Bulls and Galaxy have split the last five meetings at Red Bull Arena at 2-2-1 with Los Angeles winning the most recent match at RBA, 3-1, on May 14, 2017. New York, however, bested LA, 3-2, at the StubHub Center last season.
The Red Bulls are off to a slow 2-4-2 record to start the season. New York has had slow starts to the season twice in the last six seasons, all of which found themselves finishing as the top team either in the conference or the league. In 2013, New York started 2-4-2 and finished with the franchise's first Supporters' Shield at 17-9-8. Then in 2016, the Red Bulls recorded a 2-6-0 mark through the first eight games and ended the year with a 16-9-9 record and tops in the Eastern Conference.
New York tallied their 100th league win at Red Bull Arena on Saturday with a 1-0 victory over FC Cincinnati. Since RBA opened in 2010, the Red Bulls have recorded at least 10 league wins in seven of the last nine seasons. New York has accumulated the most home wins, 100, and points, 331, at RBA since 2010. The next closest MLS side with home success is Seattle Sounders FC with 95 wins and 312 points.
New York concludes their three-match homestand on Wednesday, May 8 against the Montreal Impact. Kickoff is slated for 8 p.m. ET with coverage on MSG, MSG Go and New York Red Bulls Radio on TuneIn.
New York Red Bulls vs. LA Galaxy
2019 MLS Regular Season Match 9
Red Bull Arena - Harrison, N.J.
Saturday, May 4, 2019 - 2 p.m. ET
ESPN, ESPN+, New York Red Bulls Radio
All-Time Series: New York leads, 19-17-8
At New York: Red Bulls lead, 12-8-3
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 2, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 2, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Acquire Targeted Allocation Money from Minnesota United FC - LA Galaxy
- MNUFC Acquires General Allocation Money from LA Galaxy - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Recall Frankie Amaya from Orange County SC - FC Cincinnati
- Five Facts - AtlÃ©tico Madrid - Orlando City SC
- Philadelphia Union Host Cinco de Marco - Philadelphia Union
- New England Revolution Launch Under-12 Revolution Development League - New England Revolution
- Match Preview: New York Hosts LA Galaxy at Red Bull Arena on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- AtlÃ©tico De Madrid to Participate in the 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - MLS
- Atletico De Madrid to Participate in the 2019 MLS All-Star Game Presented by Target - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Transfer Michael Amir Murillo to RSC Anderlecht
- New York Red Bulls Open MLS Season at Home on March 1
- New York Red Bulls Select Kendall McIntosh in 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft
- New York Red Bulls Announce End of Year Roster Decisions
- New York Red Bulls and Sky Blue FC Announce New Partnership