Timbers Weekly Update: August 29, 2019
PORTLAND, Ore. - The Portland Timbers play host to Real Salt Lake, in a match presented by 76, on Saturday, Aug. 31, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a television broadcast on FOX 12 PLUS (KPDX) with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland (11-11-4, 37pts) plays its fifth consecutive home match as part of a 10-game homestand on Saturday at Providence Park. Including the match against Real Salt Lake, seven of the Timbers' eight remaining regular-season games are at home. Notably, Portland has scored two or more goals in six of its last 10 regular-season home matches. Over the last two seasons, the Timbers have posted a record of 16-5-6 at Providence Park, outscoring their opponents, 51-22.
On the attack
The Timbers are one of five MLS teams with three players who have scored at least seven goals this season. Brian Fernandez leads Portland with 10 goals and one assist in 14 MLS regular-season matches. Jeremy Ebobisse has tallied a career-best eight goals, while Diego Valeri has recorded seven goals. In total, seven players have scored at least two goals for the Timbers in 2019.
Against Real Salt Lake
Saturday's match marks the 23rd meeting all-time in regular-season play between the Timbers and Real Salt Lake. Portland holds an 8-7-7 edge in the all-time series, with a record of 3-2-5 at Providence Park. The Timbers have won three consecutive meetings in the series, outscoring Real Salt Lake 9-2 in those matches. Portland registered a 2-1 win on the road early this season on May 4, receiving goals from Sebastián Blanco and Valeri. In the last match at Providence Park, the Timbers recorded a 3-0 win on Oct. 21, 2018. Individually, Blanco has four goals in his last three matches against Real Salt Lake.
Up next, the Timbers square off against Sporting Kansas City on Saturday, Sept. 7, at Providence Park. Beginning at 7:30 p.m. (Pacific), the match features a regional television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcasts on 1029 and 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
TEAM MEDIA SOURCES
Television: "Timbers in 30"
Throughout the season, "Timbers in 30," hosted by Jake Zivin and Ross Smith, will offer inside access to the club and provide analysis with in-studio appearances from Timbers coaches and players. This week, "Timbers in 30" airs on Friday at 6:30 p.m. (Pacific) on FOX 12 Oregon with Timbers midfielder Cristhian Paredes. Previously aired shows and "Timbers in 30" features can be found at www.timbers.com.
Radio: "Talk Timbers"
The Timbers' weekly radio talk show, "Talk Timbers," airs every Wednesday evening beginning at 6 p.m. (Pacific) on flagship station 1029 and 750 The Game. "Talk Timbers" provides team and league news as well as interviews with Timbers coaches and players during the season, and also features regular updates on T2 and Portland Thorns FC. Timbers assistant coach Miles Joseph and defender Jorge Villafaña joined this week's show. Fans can submit questions, provide comments or simply follow the conversation on the show on Twitter with the hashtag #TalkTimbers.
Fans can tune in to the show live on 1029 and 750 The Game or listen online at www.1029thegame.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 29, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 29, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy and Zlatan Ibrahimovic Team up to Fight ALS - LA Galaxy
- Elis, Figueroa Named to Honduras Roster for International Friendlies - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Celebrates Youth Soccer at Sunday's Match, Reminds Fans of Kickoff Time Change - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Exercise 2020 Contract Option on Forward Kacper Przybylko - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Works to Kick Childhood Cancer Throughout the Month of September - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Travel to San Jose for Saturday Match - Orlando City SC
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Announce Partnership with World's Leading Football Recruiting Firm Nolan Partners - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Helping to Kick Childhood Cancer with League-Wide Campaign - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Award $43,370 in Community Fund Grants - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United and MLS Support Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with Sixth Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - D.C. United
- Match Preview: New York Hosts Colorado on Military Appreciation Night - New York Red Bulls
- MLS, Atlanta United Supports Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with 6th Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo and MLS Announce Initiatives for National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month - Houston Dynamo
- Major League Soccer Supports Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with 6th Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers Fall to FC Dallas in First Round of Audi MLS Cup Playoffs on Penalty Kicks
- Timbers Play Host to FC Dallas in Round One Audi MLS Cup Playoff Match at Providence Park
- Timbers Midfielder Diego Chara Named to 2020 MLS Best XI Presented by the Home Depot
- Topgolf Live Stadium Tour Comes to Providence Park in Fall of 2021
- Timbers Sign 18-Year-Old Goalkeeper Hunter Sulte as Homegrown Player