MLS Helping to Kick Childhood Cancer with League-Wide Campaign
The sixth edition of Kick Childhood Cancer, an MLS WORKS initiative, will begin Aug. 31 as part of childhood cancer awareness month. The campaign is set to benefit the Children's Oncology Group (COG).
All 24 clubs will partake in the monthlong campaign, which will include a gold adidas Nativo Questra 2019 Official Match Ball during all matches, as well as gold corner flags and goal nets. Further, Kick Childhood Cancer gold captain's armbands and gold-ribbon jersey patches will be worn by the players. Coaches and technical staff members will don Kick Childhood Cancer pins and New Era caps on the sideline.
Fans are encouraged to support the campaign by using #KickChildhoodCancer on social media. For each post with the hashtag, MLS will donate $1 to COG. Fans can also purchase special edition adidas Kick Childhood Cancer training tops worn by players pregame on MLSstore.com and in team shops starting Aug. 30. Kick Childhood Cancer New Era caps will also be available for purchase, with all proceeds benefiting COG.
Fans can win these specialty training tops, too, by entering MLS WORKS' sweepstakes on Instagram. To enter, comment #KickChildhoodCancer and #Sweepstakes, follow @MLSWORKS and tag two or more friends.
Autographed and game-used memorabilia will be auctioned off online from Sept. 23 to Oct. 7 and as part of MLS WORKS' holiday auction from Nov. 25 to Dec. 9.
As a part of the Kick Childhood Cancer Night on Sept. 7, players will wear the KCC training tops during warmups and procession, and Orlando City will introduce the Starting XI Against Cancer as a part of the pregame announcements. The Starting XI Against Cancer will honor and recognize eleven children who are currently battling cancer or are in remission. In addition, club staff will wear yellow ribbons to recognize the cause. The club's beneficiary is Orlando Health | Arnold Palmer Hospital
Children's Oncology Group is the world's largest organization devoted exclusively to childhood and adolescent cancer research, uniting more than 10,000 experts in childhood cancer at more than 200 leading children's hospitals around the world. MLS has helped to offset the costs of more than 17,000 enrollments to-date in Project:EveryChild, with an expected 25,000 to be enrolled by the end of 2019. Fans can also donate directly to Children's Oncology Group.
For more information on Kick Childhood Cancer, Children's Oncology Group or other MLS WORKS initiatives, visit MLSsoccer.com/mlsworks.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 29, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: August 29, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy and Zlatan Ibrahimovic Team up to Fight ALS - LA Galaxy
- Elis, Figueroa Named to Honduras Roster for International Friendlies - Houston Dynamo
- Sounders FC Celebrates Youth Soccer at Sunday's Match, Reminds Fans of Kickoff Time Change - Seattle Sounders FC
- Philadelphia Union Exercise 2020 Contract Option on Forward Kacper Przybylko - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Works to Kick Childhood Cancer Throughout the Month of September - Seattle Sounders FC
- Preview: Orlando City Travel to San Jose for Saturday Match - Orlando City SC
- Vancouver Whitecaps FC Announce Partnership with World's Leading Football Recruiting Firm Nolan Partners - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- MLS Helping to Kick Childhood Cancer with League-Wide Campaign - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Award $43,370 in Community Fund Grants - Portland Timbers
- D.C. United and MLS Support Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with Sixth Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - D.C. United
- Match Preview: New York Hosts Colorado on Military Appreciation Night - New York Red Bulls
- MLS, Atlanta United Supports Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with 6th Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - Atlanta United FC
- Houston Dynamo and MLS Announce Initiatives for National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month - Houston Dynamo
- Major League Soccer Supports Childhood Cancer Awareness Month with 6th Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Orlando City SC Stories
- Playoff Update: the Conference Semifinals
- Orlando City SC Eastern Conference Semifinal Matchup vs. New England Officially Sold Out
- Orlando City Set to Host New England Revolution in Eastern Conference Semifinals on Sunday
- The Never-Ending Shootout
- Lions Defeat NYCFC in Penalty Shootout, Advance to Eastern Conference Semifinals