Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake
SANDY, Utah - The Portland Timbers tallied a late goal, but were unable to rally from an early deficit, falling 2-1 on the road to Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium on Wednesday night. Bill Tuiloma tallied his first goal of the season, while Diego Valeri recorded his sixth assist of the campaign.
Valeri recorded his sixth assist of the season in the match, which is tied for the team lead with Diego Chara. It was also his seventh career assist against Real Salt Lake. Since joining Portland in 2013, Valeri has 87 total assists and 25 assists from set pieces, both of which lead MLS in that span.
RSL - Douglas MartÃnez, 11th minute: Aaron Herrera played a long through ball into the Timbers box for Damir Kreilach making a run toward goal. Portland goalkeeper Aljaz Ivacic got a touch and knocked the ball away near the penalty spot, but Douglas MartÃnez pounced on the loose ball and converted.
RSL - Damir Kreilach (Pablo Ruiz), 26th minute: Off a corner kick, Pablo Ruiz served the ball to Kreilach inside the box and he fired a volleyed shot into the back of the net.
POR - Bill Tuiloma (Diego Valeri), 77th minute: Valeri delivered a free kick from the right wing into the center of the box and Tuiloma connected, sending a header from the edge of the six-yard box past RSL goalkeeper Andrew Putna.
Bill Tuiloma scored his first goal of the season and the third of his Timbers career.
Tuiloma is the 11th different player to score a goal for Portland in MLS regular-season play in 2020.
All three of Tuiloma's goals for the Timbers have been assisted by Diego Valeri.
Since joining Portland in 2013, Valeri has 87 total assists and 25 assists from set pieces, both of which lead MLS in that span.
Valeri recorded his sixth assist of the season, which is tied for the team lead with Diego Chara.
Portland has scored 10 headed goals this season, which is the most in MLS.
The Timbers have scored 22 second-half goals this season, which is the most in MLS.
Portland's 19 road goals are the most in MLS this season.
The Timbers return to Providence Park to play host to Los Angeles FC on Sunday, Oct. 18; kickoff is set for 7 p.m. (Pacific). The Oct. 18 match features a regional television broadcast on ROOT SPORTS with local radio broadcast on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Portland Timbers (9-5-3, 30pts) vs. Real Salt Lake (5-7-6, 21pts)
Oct. 14, 2020 - Rio Tinto Stadium (Sandy, Utah)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Portland Timbers 0 1 1
Real Salt Lake 2 0 2
RSL: MartÃnez, 11
RSL: Kreilach (Ruiz), 26
POR: Tuiloma (Valeri), 77
RSL: Silva (caution), 16
RSL: Herrera (caution), 82
RS: Portillo (caution), 90+1
POR: GK Ivacic, D Bonilla (LorÃa, 84), D Mabiala, D Tuiloma, D Farfan (Zuparic, 84), M D. Chara, M Paredes, M Ebobisse, M Valeri ©, M Conechny (Y. Chara, 45), F Mora
Substitutes Not Used: GK Attinella, D Duvall, D McGraw, D Villafaña, M Flores, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Jeremy Ebobisse, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Four players tied, 1); FOULS: 4 (D. Chara, 2); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 2
RSL: GK Putna, D Herrera, D Onuoha, D Silva, (Glad, 69), D Toia, M Chang (Schmitt, 84), M Baird, M Besler (Beckerman, 84), M Ruiz (Portillo, 84), M Kreilach ©, D MartÃnez (Meram, 64)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Ochoa, D Holt, M RamÃrez, F Iloski
TOTAL SHOTS: 13 (Kreilach, 8); SHOTS ON GOAL: 4 (Kreilach, MartÃnez, 2); FOULS: 14 (Herrera, 3); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 3
Referee: Robert Sibiga
Assistant Referees: Adam Garner, Jeffrey Greeson
Fourth Official: Allen Chapman
VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
Weather: Clear, 61 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 15, 2020
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Launch First-Ever Virtual RAISE for P.L.A.Y.S. Fundraiser - Chicago Fire FC
- International Duty: Pizarro Starts Twice for Mexico - Inter Miami CF
- Banc Of California Stadium To Serve As Regional Voting Center Between October 30 - November 3 - Los Angeles FC
- Sigi Schmid Elected to United Soccer Coaches 2021 Hall of Fame Class - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Acquires $50,000 in General Allocation Money - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City SC Acquires An International Roster Slot from Montreal Impact - Orlando City SC
- Quakes win fourth of last five - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 4 - Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Falls to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-1 on Wednesday at Providence Park - Los Angeles FC
- 'Caps vault above playoff line with second straight win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Downs Portland Timbers FC 2-1 - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC Takes 3-1 Win Away at Houston Dynamo - Nashville SC
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Major League Soccer Announces Time Changes for Timbers Matches against LAFC, Inter Miami CF at Providence Park
- Yimmi Chara, Felipe Mora Called up for Conmebol Copa AmÉrica 2021
- Timbers Broadcast Team Wins 2021 Northwest Regional Emmy Award
- Timbers Acquire Midfielder George Fochive
- Timbers, Thorns FC Increase Capacity to 80 Percent at Providence Park Beginning June 19