Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville SC midfielder Hany Mukhtar was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 18th week of the 2020 MLS season. The club's first Designated Player becomes the first Nashville SC member to receive this recognition.
Mukhtar scored two goals and added an assist to help Nashville defeat the Houston Dynamo 3-1 at BBVA Stadium on Wednesday for his first MLS career brace. Mukhtar has now tallied three goals and four assists this season. Nashville is eighth in the Eastern Conference standings with 21 points (5W-6L-6D overall record).
Nashville took a 1-0 lead in the 15th minute when Mukhtar collected a pass from teammate Abu Danladi, dribbled into the box past a Houston defender, and finished with a right footed shot off the left post and into the net.
Following his assist on Danladi's goal in the 19th minute, Nashville took a 3-0 lead in the 23rd minute when Mukhtar sent a roaring right footed free kick from outside the box into the upper left hand corner.
Mukhtar's brace was the first brace recorded in Nashville SC's MLS history set also a club record with the fastest three goals scored in a match in just 23 minutes. The German DP scored his first career multi-goal game and is now the team leader in goals.
The Boys in Gold continue their queue for the playoffs on Tuesday by hosting FC Dallas at Nissan Stadium, presented by Continental Tire. A limited amount of tickets are available for purchase at www.nashvillesc.com/tickets. Fans returning to Nissan Stadium can find the club's Stadium Safety Plan by visiting www.nashvillesc.com/safestadium.
Tuesday's match will be a nationally televised content on FS1, FOX Deportes, and the FOX Sports App. Locally fans can catch the action through the airwaves on ESPN 94.9 for English radio and El Jefe in Spanish at 7:30 p.m. CT.
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 15, 2020
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week - Nashville SC
- Nashville SC Midfielder Hany Mukhtar Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Chicago Fire FC Launch First-Ever Virtual RAISE for P.L.A.Y.S. Fundraiser - Chicago Fire FC
- International Duty: Pizarro Starts Twice for Mexico - Inter Miami CF
- Banc Of California Stadium To Serve As Regional Voting Center Between October 30 - November 3 - Los Angeles FC
- Sigi Schmid Elected to United Soccer Coaches 2021 Hall of Fame Class - LA Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Impact Acquires $50,000 in General Allocation Money - Club de Foot Montreal
- Orlando City SC Acquires An International Roster Slot from Montreal Impact - Orlando City SC
- Quakes win fourth of last five - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 4 - Wednesday, October 14, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Falls to Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-1 on Wednesday at Providence Park - Los Angeles FC
- 'Caps vault above playoff line with second straight win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Real Salt Lake Downs Portland Timbers FC 2-1 - Real Salt Lake
- Nashville SC Takes 3-1 Win Away at Houston Dynamo - Nashville SC
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville SC Stories
- Nashville Soccer Club Trades Dominique Badji to the Colorado Rapids
- 'Perfect Little Trio' Sapong, Mukhtar and Leal Lead Nashville SC Attack in JulyÃÂ
- Nashville Soccer Club Moves to Second Place in the Eastern Conference with Victory over Rival FC Cincinnati
- What to Watch for as Nashville SC Hosts Rival FC Cincinnati at Nissan Stadium this Saturday
- Nashville Soccer Club Earns Road Point against Defending MLS Cup Champions