ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts could not overcome a three-run fourth inning in the opening game of a three-game set against Joliet, as the Slammers held on to defeat Windy City 3-2 at Standard Bank Stadium Friday Night.
The Bolts (19-32) had no answer for Slammers' (28-24) right-hander Corey Kimber, who retired 12 of the first 14 men he faced and 18 of 22 overall in a winning effort in his first professional start.
Zac Westcott ran into trouble in the fourth, as London Lindley opened the inning with a single and later scored on a Ridge Hoopii-Haslam RBI single. Two batters later, Danny Zardon singled home Hoopii-Haslam to double the Slammers' lead to 2-0. Trey Fulton capped the scoring with an RBI base-hit knocking in Zardon to make it 3-0.
Riley Krane got the ThunderBolts on the board for the first time with one swing in the fifth inning, sending a ball deep over the right-centerfield wall for his third home run of the season.
Windy City would threaten again in the eighth, as Omar Obregon led off the frame with a single. He later scored on a Blair Beck sacrifice fly. The ThunderBolts, though, went down in order in the ninth to snap a three-game winning streak.
Westcott (4-7) allowed three runs on eight hits over seven innings to take the loss. Kimber (4-2) notched the win after six innings of one-run ball.
Game two of the series is scheduled for Saturday evening. Jake Welch (4-2, 3.93) will start for the ThunderBolts opposed by Joliet's Scot Hoffman (4-2, 4.28). It will be Jimmy Buffett night at Standard Bank Stadium presented by the Original Island Shrimp House of Palos Park, featuring a one-hour pregame show from "Flip Flop Dave," as well as a firework show postgame.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 and those not in attendance may listen to the broadcast on wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Garcia Throws a Gem, Chirino Knocks Game Winning Hit - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to River City - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Shutout for First Time this Season in Loss to Normal - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Roll to Victory over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Big Comeback Falls Just Short in Miners Loss to Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Offense Powers Freedom to Series-Opening Win over Miners - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Open Second Half with Road Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Comes Out Swinging in Second Half - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Lose Weekend Opener against Boomers - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Fall in Series Opener to Lake Erie 8-2 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Add Michael Baca, Milles Moeller, Gerald Bautista, and James Davison - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Begin Second Half with Six Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Windy City ThunderBolts Stories
- ThunderBolts Hire Brian Smith as New Field Manager
- Windy City ThunderBolts Unveil Logo for 20th Anniversary in Crestwood and Frontier League
- ThunderBolts Fall to Traverse City in Season Finale
- ThunderBolts Use Big Innings to Take Game One at Traverse City
- ThunderBolts Split Doubleheader at Lake Erie