ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet
CRESTWOOD, IL - The ThunderBolts could not overcome a three-run fourth inning in the opening game of a three-game set against Joliet, as the Slammers held on to defeat Windy City 3-2 at Standard Bank Stadium Friday Night.
The Bolts (19-32) had no answer for Slammers' (28-24) right-hander Corey Kimber, who retired 12 of the first 14 men he faced and 18 of 22 overall in a winning effort in his first professional start.
Zac Westcott ran into trouble in the fourth, as London Lindley opened the inning with a single and later scored on a Ridge Hoopii-Haslam RBI single. Two batters later, Danny Zardon singled home Hoopii-Haslam to double the Slammers' lead to 2-0. Trey Fulton capped the scoring with an RBI base-hit knocking in Zardon to make it 3-0.
Riley Krane got the ThunderBolts on the board for the first time with one swing in the fifth inning, sending a ball deep over the right-centerfield wall for his third home run of the season.
Windy City would threaten again in the eighth, as Omar Obregon led off the frame with a single. He later scored on a Blair Beck sacrifice fly. The ThunderBolts, though, went down in order in the ninth to snap a three-game winning streak.
Westcott (4-7) allowed three runs on eight hits over seven innings to take the loss. Kimber (4-2) notched the win after six innings of one-run ball.
Game two of the series is scheduled for Saturday evening. Jake Welch (4-2, 3.93) will start for the ThunderBolts opposed by Joliet's Scot Hoffman (4-2, 4.28). It will be Jimmy Buffett night at Standard Bank Stadium presented by the Original Island Shrimp House of Palos Park, featuring a one-hour pregame show from "Flip Flop Dave," as well as a firework show postgame.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:05 and those not in attendance may listen to the broadcast on wcthunderbolts.com.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Garcia Throws a Gem, Chirino Knocks Game Winning Hit - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to River City - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Shutout for First Time this Season in Loss to Normal - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Roll to Victory over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Big Comeback Falls Just Short in Miners Loss to Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Offense Powers Freedom to Series-Opening Win over Miners - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Open Second Half with Road Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Comes Out Swinging in Second Half - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Lose Weekend Opener against Boomers - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Fall in Series Opener to Lake Erie 8-2 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Add Michael Baca, Milles Moeller, Gerald Bautista, and James Davison - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Begin Second Half with Six Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.