Grizzlies Drop Opener to River City
SAUGET, Ill. - The Gateway Grizzlies notched only four hits Friday night in an 8-2 series-opening loss to the River City Rascals at GCS Credit Union Ballpark.
River City (30-22) scored two in the second inning and three more in the third.
Gateway (22-32) mustered only one run in each frame, and the Grizzlies failed to add any further runs when the Rascals tacked on two more in the fifth and another in the seventh.
John Price Jr. homered for the first time in a Grizzlies uniform - a solo shot over the left-field wall in the third.
Artemis Kadkhodaian doubled; Trae Santos and Blake Brown both singled. No Grizzlies batter had more than one hit.
Mike Elwood (4-5) took the loss for the Grizzlies. He allowed seven runs (all earned) over 4 1/3 innings with five strikeouts.
Gateway and River City will meet in game two of their three-game series Saturday at 7:05 p.m. The season series between the two ballclubs is tied at four wins apiece.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Garcia Throws a Gem, Chirino Knocks Game Winning Hit - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to River City - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Shutout for First Time this Season in Loss to Normal - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Roll to Victory over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Big Comeback Falls Just Short in Miners Loss to Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Offense Powers Freedom to Series-Opening Win over Miners - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Open Second Half with Road Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Comes Out Swinging in Second Half - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Lose Weekend Opener against Boomers - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Fall in Series Opener to Lake Erie 8-2 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Add Michael Baca, Milles Moeller, Gerald Bautista, and James Davison - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Begin Second Half with Six Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.