Boomers Open Second Half with Road Victory
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The defending Frontier League champion Schaumburg Boomers, presented by Wintrust Community Banks, jumped out to an early lead and raced to a 7-2 victory over the Traverse City Beach Bums in the opener of the second half on Friday night in Michigan.
The Boomers grabbed a 3-0 lead in the top of the first and did not trail. Jack Parenty led off with a single and moved to second when Sean Godfrey followed with a basehit. Parenty scored the first run when Zack Weigel reached on an error after sending a screamer to second. Ty Moore made the score 3-0 just four batters into the contest with a double into the left field corner. Godfrey pushed the lead to 4-0 with an RBI double in the fourth and Moore made it 6-0 with a two-run single in the sixth.
The early run support was more than enough for Joe Hauser, who carried a shutout into the seventh. Hauser, who had gone 14.2 innings without allowing a run to Traverse City this year, allowed just two runs in the seventh while walking one and striking out four in improving to 5-4 on the season. Darrell Thompson, Ivan Vieitez and James Mulry finished out the win. The pitching staff struck out 10 in the victory.
Parenty and Godfrey each reached base four times, notching three hits. Parenty scored three times. Moore drove home four and tallied three hits as the Boomers finished with 12. Eight of the nine members of the lineup reached base with seven posting a hit.
The Boomers (27-24) continue the series on Saturday night at 6:05 p.m. RHP Will Stillman (0-1, 9.28) is slated to start for the Boomers while Traverse City counters with RHP Reinaldo Lopez (4-3, 4.52). Schaumburg will not play at home again until July 20. Make the Boomers part of your plans this summer by calling (847) 461-3695.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Garcia Throws a Gem, Chirino Knocks Game Winning Hit - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to River City - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Shutout for First Time this Season in Loss to Normal - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Roll to Victory over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Big Comeback Falls Just Short in Miners Loss to Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Offense Powers Freedom to Series-Opening Win over Miners - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Open Second Half with Road Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Comes Out Swinging in Second Half - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Lose Weekend Opener against Boomers - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Fall in Series Opener to Lake Erie 8-2 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Add Michael Baca, Milles Moeller, Gerald Bautista, and James Davison - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Begin Second Half with Six Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.