Beach Bums Lose Weekend Opener against Boomers
TRAVERSE CITY, MI - The Traverse City Beach Bums(24-27) fell behind early in tonight's return from the All-Star break, dropping a 7-2 decision to the Schaumburg Boomers(27-24).
Schaumburg got off to a quick start picking up three runs in the opening frame. Jack Parenty scored on an error then Ty Moore drove in two with a double down the left field line, giving the Boomers a 3-0 lead. They added to their lead in the fourth when Sean Godfrey doubled in a run. Moore knocked in two more runs in the sixth, this time on a single, for a 6-0 advantage.
In the bottom of the seventh, the Beach Bums started to chip away at the deficit. Kendall Patrick led off with an infield hit and three batters later, moved to third on a Max Dutto double. Orlando Rivera got Traverse City on the board with a two-run single, for a 6-2 game. Schaumburg got a run right back in the eighth on a Zack Weigel sacrifice fly.
Joe Hauser earned the win for Schaumburg to improve to 5-4. He went six and two-thirds innings, allowing two runs on six hits and a walk while striking out four. John Havird gave up a couple of soft hits in the first and never recovered, falling to 3-4 with tonight's loss. He went four innings, giving up three earned runs on eight hits and a walk, fanning three. Beach Bums pitchers combined to strike out 10 Boomers but couldn't get the bats rolling.
Saturday night, the Beach Bums and Schaumburg Boomers continue this weekend's three game series with the second game. Will Stillman takes the hill for Schaumburg while Reinaldo Lopez starts for the Beach Bums. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05pm and Tom Willms will have the call, starting with the Budweiser pregame show, at 6:45pm. You can listen along from anywhere in the world at TCBeachBums.com.
All active or retired military and first responders, thank you! Our Salute to Soldiers and first responder Saturdays are just for you, our every day heroes. All active or retired military of first responders can receive chair back tickets for just five dollars, plus each game will feature special guess or organization to throw out the ceremonial first pitch. Gates open at 6pm for a 7:05 first pitch. For information and tickets, go to TCBeachBums.com or call the office at (231) 943-0100.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Garcia Throws a Gem, Chirino Knocks Game Winning Hit - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to River City - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Shutout for First Time this Season in Loss to Normal - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Roll to Victory over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Big Comeback Falls Just Short in Miners Loss to Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Offense Powers Freedom to Series-Opening Win over Miners - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Open Second Half with Road Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Comes Out Swinging in Second Half - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Lose Weekend Opener against Boomers - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Fall in Series Opener to Lake Erie 8-2 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Add Michael Baca, Milles Moeller, Gerald Bautista, and James Davison - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Begin Second Half with Six Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.