Otters Shutout for First Time this Season in Loss to Normal
NORMAL, Ill. - In a tight, well pitched ball game, the Evansville Otters dropped their opening game of the second half 1-0 to the Normal CornBelters on Friday night at The Corn Crib.
The Otters had an opportunity to break the scoreless deadlock in the seventh inning as they put their first two hitters of the inning on base. But three straight fly outs ended the threat for the Otters.
After seven innings of scoreless baseball, Normal finally broke through with the lone run of the game in the bottom of the eighth. With one out, Michael Baca doubled, the only extra base hit of the contest for either club. After advancing to third base on a fly out to right field, Baca scored when Santiago Chirino singled through the right side to put the CornBelters ahead 1-0.
In the ninth, the Otters got the tying run to second base with two outs, but Daniel Spingola grounded out to second base to end the game.
Anthony Herrera picked up the save for the CornBelters after throwing a scoreless ninth.
Otters starter Spencer Medick gets a no-decision after his best outing of the season with Evansville. Medick threw seven scoreless innings, striking out nine batters and allowing just two hits.
Normal starter Jacinto Garcia matched Medick pitch for pitch and received a no-decision as well. Garcia tossed seven shutout innings, allowing three hits.
Jonathon De Marte is credited with the win out of the bullpen for Normal as he threw a clean eighth inning.
Tyler Beardsley is hung with his third loss of the season after allowing one run in one inning of work.
The series will continue tomorrow evening when the two teams square off again at 7:05 p.m. at The Corn Crib.
Coverage of the series can be found on WUEV 91.5 FM presented by Kruckemeyer & Cohn with Sam Jellinek (play-by-play) on the call.
Fans can also follow Otters social media on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram for game updates throughout the day.
The Evansville Otters are the 2006 and 2016 Frontier League champions. Season tickets, group outing packages, and single game tickets are on sale now for the 2018 season.
• Discuss this story on the Frontier League message board...
Frontier League Stories from July 13, 2018
- Garcia Throws a Gem, Chirino Knocks Game Winning Hit - Normal CornBelters
- Grizzlies Drop Opener to River City - Gateway Grizzlies
- Otters Shutout for First Time this Season in Loss to Normal - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Roll to Victory over Grizzlies - River City Rascals
- Big Comeback Falls Just Short in Miners Loss to Freedom - Southern Illinois Miners
- ThunderBolts Come up Short against Joliet - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Offense Powers Freedom to Series-Opening Win over Miners - Florence Freedom
- Boomers Open Second Half with Road Victory - Schaumburg Boomers
- Lake Erie Comes Out Swinging in Second Half - Lake Erie Crushers
- Beach Bums Lose Weekend Opener against Boomers - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Wild Things Fall in Series Opener to Lake Erie 8-2 - Washington Wild Things
- CornBelters Add Michael Baca, Milles Moeller, Gerald Bautista, and James Davison - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Begin Second Half with Six Game Homestand - Florence Freedom
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Evansville Otters Stories
- Otters Holiday Ticket Packages on Sale Now for Limited Time
- Otters Hiring Interns for 2019 Season
- Otters Open Registration for 2019 Education Day Games
- Otters Set Game Times for 2019 Season at Bosse Field
- Otters' 2019 Season Ticket and Group Outing Packages on Sale Now