Thunder Take Down Yard Goats with Two Big Innings
Trenton, NJ - The Trenton Thunder scored four times in the first inning, and added three more runs in the fourth inning, to defeat the Hartford Yard Goats 7-2 on Sunday evening at Arm & Hammer Park in Trenton, New Jersey. Catcher Kellen Deglan blasted a three-run homer to highlight the four run first, helping the Thunder earn a split in the four game series. Hoy Jun Park cracked a two RBI triple in the fourth inning, and Trenton cruised behind starter Nick Nelson who permitted just three hits in five scoreless innings for the win. Hartford right-hander Antonio Santos was tagged with the loss in his Yard Goats and Double-A debut. Mylz Jones cranked a two-run homer for the Yard Goats who continue their seven-game road trip Monday night in Portland, Maine.
The Yard Goats bullpen was very impressive and only allowed one hit over the final 4.1 shutout innings. Eastern League All-Star selection Alexander Guillen struck out six of seven batters faced in 2.1 perfect innings. Justin Lawrence worked a 1-2-3 eighth and Jordan Foley hurled a scoreless ninth.
The Thunder scored four times in the first inning spoiling the debut of Yard Goats righty Antonio Santos who was promoted from High-A Lancaster earlier in the day. Hoy Jun Park delivered a run-scoring double, bringing home Kyle Holder with the first run. Brandon Wagner worked a two-out walk and then Kellin Deglan smashed a three-run home run over the right field fence to make it 4-0 Thunder.
Trenton put together another two-out rally in the fourth inning to make it 7-0. Rashad Crawford singled home Isiah Gilliam to make it 5-0 Thunder and moments later Hoy Jun Park tripled home Kyle Holder and Crawford to give the Yankees affiliate a 7-0 lead.
The Yard Goats continue their seven game road trip and open up a three game series on Monday night in Portland, Maine against the Red Sox affiliate, the Portland Sea Dogs at 7:00 PM. The game will be broadcast on AM 1410 WPOP and 100.9 FM and streamed on newsradio.1410.com and MiLB.com. The Yard Goats return to Dunkin' Donuts Park in Hartford for their next homestand on Thursday, July 25th and host the Akron RubberDucks at 7:05 PM.
July 21, 2019
Final: Trenton Thunder 7, Hartford Yard Goats 2
WP: Nick Nelson (4-2)
LP: Antonio Santos (0-1)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 21, 2019
- 'Cats Claw Their Way to Split - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Take Down Yard Goats with Two Big Innings - Hartford Yard Goats
- Thunder Cruise to 7-2 Win over Hartford - Trenton Thunder
- Gimenez, Cecchini, and Defense Lead Ponies over Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Tully's Strong Effort Falls Short for RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Altoona Completes 8-6 Comeback Win - Bowie Baysox
- Late Homers by Madris, Sharpe Help Curve Stun Baysox on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Nunez with a Career-High 4 RBI in a 9-6 Loss at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Big SeaWolves Rally Leads to 14-7 Victory on Sunday - Erie SeaWolves
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrles - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #96 Rumble Ponies (14-17) at Akron RubberDucks (9-21) - 2:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 21st at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Yard Goats Informed by Minor League Baseball That 2020 Season Is Canceled
- Team Israel to Play at Dunkin' Donuts Park this July
- Yard Goats Installing Additional Netting at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats Announce FanFest at Dunkin' Donuts Park
- Yard Goats to Hold Job Fair Tomorrow at Dunkin' Donuts Park