Gimenez, Cecchini, and Defense Lead Ponies over Ducks
Akron, OH - The Binghamton Rumble Ponies (15-17, 50-46) took three of four from the Akron RubberDucks (9-22, 43-57) with a 4-1 win Sunday afternoon at Canal Park. Gavin Cecchini drove in two runs and Andres Gimenez had a two-run triple with two outs in the eighth. Gimenez finished 2-3 with a triple, double, and two runs batted in. Barrett Barnes also scored three runs.
Cecchini put the Ponies on the board in the second with an RBI single that drove in Barrett Barnes and added a sacrifice fly in the fourth. In the eighth, with two out and nobody on David Thompson singled to center. Barnes then hit a ground ball that RubberDucks shortstop couldn't handle. The error kept the inning alive, setting up Gimenez triple down the right-field line.
The Ponies were also helped out by their defense in the sixth. With Binghamton leading 2-1 and a runner on second with one out, Mitch Longo hit a single to center. Connor Marabell tried to score from second but was thrown out at home on Braxton Lee's throw to Ali Sanchez.
Gonzalez (5-4) gets the win allowing only one run on seven hits over six, with one walk and eight strikeouts. LHP Tanner Tully (6-8) took the loss for the Ducks despite allowing just two runs over six. Blake Taylor pitched three scoreless frames and closed out the ninth for his second save of the season.
The Rumble Ponies continue their eight-game road trip traveling to Reading for the first time this year as they open up a four-game series against the Fightin Phils Monday night. First pitch is at 7:10PM on Newsradio 1290 WNBF and the Binghamton Rumble Ponies channel on TuneIn. The Horizons Federal Credit Union pregame show gets underway at 6:55PM.
POSTGAME NOTES: Binghamton is now 10-4 against the RubberDucks this year and 5-2 at Canal Park...Will Toffey came off the IL Sunday and was 1-4 in his first game since June 30...Patrick Mazeika's 9-game hitting streak came to an end.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from July 21, 2019
- 'Cats Claw Their Way to Split - Reading Fightin Phils
- Thunder Take Down Yard Goats with Two Big Innings - Hartford Yard Goats
- Thunder Cruise to 7-2 Win over Hartford - Trenton Thunder
- Gimenez, Cecchini, and Defense Lead Ponies over Ducks - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Tully's Strong Effort Falls Short for RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Altoona Completes 8-6 Comeback Win - Bowie Baysox
- Late Homers by Madris, Sharpe Help Curve Stun Baysox on Sunday - Altoona Curve
- Nunez with a Career-High 4 RBI in a 9-6 Loss at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
- Big SeaWolves Rally Leads to 14-7 Victory on Sunday - Erie SeaWolves
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrles - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs. Portland - Harrisburg Senators
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: #96 Rumble Ponies (14-17) at Akron RubberDucks (9-21) - 2:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes July 21st at Harrisburg - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Binghamton Rumble Ponies Stories
- A Night at RumbleTown Scheduled for July 31st Postponed
- A Night at RumbleTown
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Cancelled
- Spend July 3rd at NYSEG Stadium
- NYSEG Stadium to Host Graduation Weekend