Thunder Rings in NYE with Win in Allen
ALLEN, TX - Wichita closed out 2020 in style on Thursday night, blowing past Allen by the final of 7-2 at the Allen Event Center.
Matteo Gennaro, Gordie Green and Jeremy McKenna each had two goals and seven others picked up points in the winning effort. Mitch Gillam claimed his third win of the season, stopping 38 shots he faced.
Green got things started early in the first period when he came around the Americans net, used a screen and fired a shot past Zach Sawchenko to make it 1-0. McKenna netted his first as a pro at 4:12 to make it 2-0 with a shot from the high slot. The Americans had plenty of chances on the man advantage as Wichita took four minor penalties. Gennaro increased the lead to 3-0 with a shorthanded goal at 14:36. He took a drop pass from Green, cut onto his forehand and beat Sawchenko from a bad angle for his third of the season. Corey Mackin cut the lead back to two with a power play goal at 15:19 to make it 3-1.
In the second, Peter Crinella tallied his first of the year at 1:34 to make it 4-1. Joseph Garreffa got one back just over 20 seconds later as he found a loose puck near the crease and put it past Gillam. At 11:14, McKenna blasted a one-timer past Sawchenko from the left circle to increase the lead to 5-2. Green added his second of the game at 15:18 with assists to Spencer Dorowicz and Bobby McMann. Wichita headed into the locker room with a 6-2 lead after two.
The only goal of the third period came from Gennaro at 1:10 as he caught a pass from McMann and buried it for his second of the night and a 7-2 lead.
Green and Gennaro led the way with three points each (2g, 1a). Mathieu Gagnon (2a), Anthony Beauregard (2a) and McMann each had two points as well. Three players were a +4 (Cam Clarke, Green, Gagnon). Wichita scored a goal in each period before the two-minute mark.
The Thunder opens their home schedule tomorrow night against Allen at 7:05 p.m. Limited tickets are available for purchase.
Season tickets for the 2020-21 season are on sale now. Get your seats for just $34 per month. To learn more, contact a Thunder representative at the office today!
Images from this story
Wichita Thunder unleash a shot
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from December 31, 2020
- Mavs End 2020 with Thrilling Win against Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Wegwerth and Scheid Star in Grizzlies Home Opening Win - Utah Grizzlies
- Oilers Drop Contest against Mavericks on New Year's Eve - Tulsa Oilers
- Rush End 2020 with New Year's Eve Loss to Utah - Rapid City Rush
- Thunder Rings in NYE with Win in Allen - Wichita Thunder
- Lots of Celebrating for Nailers on New Year's Eve - Wheeling Nailers
- Wheeling Hands Indy First Loss of the Season - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - December 31 - ECHL
- Forward Alex Kromm Rejoins Oilers - Tulsa Oilers
- Americans Host Wichita on the Last Day of 2020 - Allen Americans
- Mavs Game Preview December 31 - Kansas City Mavericks
- Grizzlies Preview: December 31, 2020 Rapid City at Utah - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears win 7-4 in high-scoring battle with Everblades - Orlando Solar Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.